Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it really that much worse?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM
  • 18 Replies

I was reading an article and it has me wondering what other people think. Some people say gay marriage is wrong because kids shouldn't be raised by two parents of the same sex. They say it ruins the kids, the kids don't understand family values, etc. How is being raised by same sex parents worse then being raised by a single mother? Kids aren't learning "family values" if they don't have a father. I don't agree with any of the statements I just wrote. I want to understand why being raised by same sex parents is so much worse then being raised by a single mom.

I am not trying to offend anyone and if I offended you I'm sorry. I see nothing wrong with being a single mom or same sex marriage. I think as long as a child has a loving home where they are taken care of then nothing else should matter.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I see nothing wrong with it.  if the premise is that they are born that way then whether they are raised by 2 same sex parents would NOT determine whether they turned out gay or not.  Whats worse? living in a gay home or aging out of foster care never knowing what it meant to be part of a family??  I say the latter.

christaberk
by Christa on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:58 AM
Yep.

Quoting MixedCooke:

I see nothing wrong with it.  if the premise is that they are born that way then whether they are raised by 2 same sex parents would NOT determine whether they turned out gay or not.  Whats worse? living in a gay home or aging out of foster care never knowing what it meant to be part of a family??  I say the latter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I completely agree. A home with loving family is so much better then foster care. And you're right having same sex parents won't make you gay.

Quoting MixedCooke:

deccaf
by Group Admin on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I don't think kids can be ruined by having parents of the same sex. 

rissarin
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm on your side. Would a kid be better off in a home with a mom and a dad where the dad beats up on the mom and calls the kid names, and mom drinks all the time? Doubtful.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Research has shown that same sex couples raise well-adjusted, successful, happy children, so the notion that kids raised by same sex couples being "ruined" is completely nonfactual (I know YOU weren't saying that). 

People get mad because it is children raised in a way they don't see fit. Wow, that's not a new issue at all, now is it. I am obviously for the civic rights of gay people! 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I didn't even think about this, but great point

Quoting rissarin:

I'm on your side. Would a kid be better off in a home with a mom and a dad where the dad beats up on the mom and calls the kid names, and mom drinks all the time? Doubtful.

paytonleximomma
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I see nothing wrong with being raised by the same sex parents.  The kids are going to know that they are loved by both parents so there is nothing wrong with that.  A really good friend of mine is gay and her and her gf are getting married next weekend.  My kids love her to death.  They know that she is marrying another woman.  People dont give kids enough credit.  Kids dont see a person's sexual orientation, whether they are gay or not and what color skin they have.  Kids see the good or evil and people and that is how they judge. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

You're right. Anyhting outside the "norm" is typically looked down upon.

Quoting mickstinator:

Research has shown that same sex couples raise well-adjusted, successful, happy children, so the notion that kids raised by same sex couples being "ruined" is completely nonfactual (I know YOU weren't saying that). 

People get mad because it is children raised in a way they don't see fit. Wow, that's not a new issue at all, now is it. I am obviously for the civic rights of gay people! 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Yes! Kids only learn hate when they are taught hate

Quoting paytonleximomma:

I see nothing wrong with being raised by the same sex parents.  The kids are going to know that they are loved by both parents so there is nothing wrong with that.  A really good friend of mine is gay and her and her gf are getting married next weekend.  My kids love her to death.  They know that she is marrying another woman.  People dont give kids enough credit.  Kids dont see a person's sexual orientation, whether they are gay or not and what color skin they have.  Kids see the good or evil and people and that is how they judge. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)