Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bulging Disk

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 14 Replies
That's what DH has. He finally saw a Dr. last night. So he has prescriptions for Norco and Ibuprofen 800. And cannot do anything more as it heals on its own, apparently. I don't know how well it will heal, as he doesn't get much down time.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christyg
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I would see a chiropractor if I had anything wrong with my spine, rather than a medical doctor, since it is what they specialize in. Maybe there is something more that can be done? 

mickstinator
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM

oh, i've heard that is incredibly painful. hopefully he feels better soon. : (

deccaf
by Group Admin on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Quoting christyg:

I would see a chiropractor if I had anything wrong with my spine, rather than a medical doctor, since it is what they specialize in. Maybe there is something more that can be done? 

He refuses to see a chiropractor. I believe they do better than MD's, but he thinks there are too many that are not good and can hurt you more than help. He won't agree to our daughter going, either.
M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I have a bulging disc in my back.  I have to be careful.  I have to brace myself when I sneeze because my back can go out and it hurts!  The chiropractor is fine but, really, he needs to stretch and do things differently......such as bending with his knees more, sitting correctly, etc.  Even standing up, he will want to make sure to move his tailbone down more especially to stretch out his back and that way it isn't pressing down on the disc. 

When it's hurting, it flares up and it touches the nerves which REALLY HURTS!  It hurts all they down to my legs.  Ice, ice, ice baby!

deccaf
by Group Admin on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Quoting M4LG5:

I have a bulging disc in my back.  I have to be careful.  I have to brace myself when I sneeze because my back can go out and it hurts!  The chiropractor is fine but, really, he needs to stretch and do things differently......such as bending with his knees more, sitting correctly, etc.  Even standing up, he will want to make sure to move his tailbone down more especially to stretch out his back and that way it isn't pressing down on the disc. 

When it's hurting, it flares up and it touches the nerves which REALLY HURTS!  It hurts all they down to my legs.  Ice, ice, ice baby!

ICE!!!??? I've been pushing heat on him! Now I'll get something cooling for him.
M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting M4LG5:

ICE!!!??? I've been pushing heat on him! Now I'll get something cooling for him.

When the disc touches the nerves, the automatic response from the muscles is to protect it which is what stiffins up the back.  With any initial injury, you want to reduce any swelling so that is when you use ice.  After a couple of days, he can alternate ice and heat.  After heat, he'll want to stretch. 

My doctor was great about giving me things to do.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM

yikes! having back problems sucks!

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM

My DH has 2 in his back. He recently went to a back doctor because the pain was so bad that he could barely walk. He ended up getting steriods, a muscle relaxer and hydrocodone. The doctor wants him to do physical therapy and he has to have two shots of the next couple weeks for pain management.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I'm sorry he's delaing with that, I've heard it can be extremely painful

ShelbysHope76
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM

That's tough, my DH has 3 bulging and I cant remember which, but I am thinking L3,L4 and L5 disc are degenerating. He's on his way back to the pain mgmt folks to day or tomorrow, having a reallly hard time. I know how you feel, it's hard to watch them hurt and there is nothing you can do but pray for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)