Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Two tips from Real Simple (love!!) - Save time in the kitchen

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM
  • 7 Replies

I got these two tips from Real Simple Magazine:

Idea 1: Put family members in charge of keeping track of specific household staples. For example, the kids are responsible for knowing when the cereal is running low and your spouse takes note of when the coffee canister needs replenishing. Hang a board on the fridge that is designated for grocery items that need to be purchased.

Idea 2: Schedule an hour on Sunday when the whole family pitches in to prepare meals for the upcoming week. Put the teenagers and adults to work slicing, chopping, and peeling. Let the younger kids mix salad dressing or roll ground meat into round balls.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
christyg
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM

We have a small white board on our fridge and if someone uses the last of something, they are responsible to put it on the list. If they need something, they add it instead of telling me (I will not remember, guaranteed). It works really good.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:46 AM

those are good tips!

M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Quoting christyg:

We have a small white board on our fridge and if someone uses the last of something, they are responsible to put it on the list. If they need something, they add it instead of telling me (I will not remember, guaranteed). It works really good.

My husband gets upset because I didn't get milk when I was out.  Well....how the heck did know the milk was out unless someone told me because I rarely drink milk or eat cereal.  I think a combination of having the kids in charge of things and if they see it that we need it themselves to put on the board, then it will help.

mickstinator
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Not bad tips! My kids are too young to contribute, but hubby and I work together very well for meal planning (almost entirely thanks to him). We are very organized with our pantry and meal plans.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I do the first one. My rule is if you finish it or pull the last one off the shelf you need to write it on the list.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting christyg:

My husband gets upset because I didn't get milk when I was out.  Well....how the heck did know the milk was out unless someone told me because I rarely drink milk or eat cereal.  I think a combination of having the kids in charge of things and if they see it that we need it themselves to put on the board, then it will help.

Um, yeah. This happened at my house this morning too - well, a similar version. DH and I were gone for 2 weeks. I was home 2 days and then gone again for work. Home after 11 last night. Teenagers were cranky when there was no bread this morning and no milk. EXCUSE ME?! I wasn't here! YOU GUYS were the ones to use the last of that stuff. Not sure why they couldn't say to their dad, Hey I used the last of the milk. Can we get some more?......Instead they acted like it was my fault. I guess because I'm the grocery buyer but still kinda pissed me off.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

These are good tips. They won't work at our house for a variety of reasons but I think if you can implement things like this when your kids are younger, it should work pretty slick!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)