Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Lavender

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have a lavender plant that is doing very well in my front yard. I am going to trim some of the flowers and let it continue to grow. So I looked online to see what uses besides calming properties lavender has. It has SO MANY! I will post them in replies, since it is hard to list in the initial post for some reason.
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM

1. Cooking. Lavender scones are a breakfast favorite around this house. They are so delicious and surprisingly easy to make! There are many recipes for lavender scones out there but I really like this one. Don't stop with scones! You can also use lavender in breads and sugar cookies. I also like to toss the flowers into salads or whirl them in the food processor to create delicious rubs for veggies. Lavender flowers also make darling decorations on cookies or cupcakes.

2. Lavender makes a delicious and inexpensive salad dressing. Using a clean glass jar, combine all the ingredients then shake. Kids have a blast doing this! There are many different lavender dressing recipes available on the web. I like this one, but try a few and find your favorite!

3. Use it as a tea. Lavender tea is so delicious on it's own but I like to use my lavender flowers to create a calming, anti-anxiety tea that is perfect before bed. I use a tablespoon of chamomile, a teaspoon of lavender and a pinch of catnip. Bring to a boil then allow it to sit for five minutes. Strain and enjoy!

4. As a dandruff shampoo. Boil a handful of lavender flowers in a teapot of water and allow to cool. Mix in a little baking soda. This makes a great anti-dandruff shampoo, plus is smells great and isn't harmful to our oceans and rivers.

5. As a moth repellent. I always have lavender drying for just this purpose. Gather a small handful of lavender and allow it to dry. Tie it into a bundle and hang it where ever you need protection from moths. I keep some in all of our closets, the pantry and storage cabinets. As an added bonus your closet and pantry will smell fantastic!

6. In the bath. Lavender is fantastic in the bath tub! Simply take an old nylon or mesh bag and add some slightly crushed lavender flowers. Too soothe the skin toss a handful of oatmeal into the bag as well, then throw the whole thing into the tub.

7. Infuse your house with the calming scent of lavender. Simply chop up some of the flowers and boil on the stove for a few minutes. Your house will smell amazing in no time!

8. You can also clean with lavender. I like to take advantage of it's disinfectant properties by boiling the flowers in water, straining them out, then mixing the water with a bit of baking soda in a spray bottle to clean counters, table tops and floors. Not only will you house be clean, it will also smell fantastic.

9. Use it as a sleep aid. The calming scent of lavender is one of the most well-known sleep aids. Some people like to place fresh or dried lavender flowers into a pocket sewn into their pillowcase. I like to place a vase of fresh lavender flowers on my night stand. If you'd rather not have a vase and water so close to your bed, a bundle of fresh lavender flowers tied up and tossed on the night stand works as well.

10. Unstuff your sinuses. When a bad cold has you plugged up boil some chopped lavender flowers in a pot of hot water then transfer it to a bowl. Drape a towel over your face while you hover over the bowl and breathe in. Lavender is fantastic for clearing stuffy noses and sinuses.

mickstinator
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM

lavender is wonderful! my sister gave me some lavender soap when i told her my kids have really dry skin. incredibly helpful.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Did you know basil can help with ear infections?  Now I need to plant some basil and figure out how to get DD to eat some!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Spaghetti sauce and bruschetta! Ymmmm, my kids gobble up basil!

Quoting deccaf:

Did you know basil can help with ear infections?  Now I need to plant some basil and figure out how to get DD to eat some!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Quoting Marti123:

Spaghetti sauce and bruschetta! Ymmmm, my kids gobble up basil!

Quoting deccaf:

✔ Among the home remedies a simple remedy is to make use of basil leaves extract along with honey or boil basil leaves in water and drink the water.

✔ A concoction made using turmeric, basil leaves, cinnamon, ginger and salt will help in relieving the condition. Before drinking the concoction add a teaspoon of honey to it. As far as possible drink the concoction, while it is still hot/warm. This concoction also helps in reducing fever.

flutter523
by Tracy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:48 PM
I love natural remedies
leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I LOVE lavender! I have 6 plants, now that I'm hoping to do some propogating on this year so I can multiply my collection :-)

rissarin
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM
I am the odd one out always when I say I'm not a fan of lavender. :-/
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Ohh put it in the bath (I need some now)

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Want me to send you some?

Quoting cjsmom1:

Ohh put it in the bath (I need some now)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN