Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

I need advice from you working moms!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi ladies. I'm in a quandary and I just don't know what to do. I am currently 5.5 months pregnant with my first child and I work part-time as a college instructor. Our baby was unplanned but is very much loved and wanted. I just found out that both full-time professors in my topic area are retiring this summer and the college is looking to hire a new full-timer. And I believe they're looking at me to take the position! I'm so excited by the prospect, after all, full-time teaching jobs are rare and hard to get. Plus the pay would be great, especially for someone like me that has been paid near minimum wage my whole working life. However, I'd have to start less than a month after giving birth. How can I decide? What is it like to work full-time and care for a newborn? How do you manage breastfeeding? Is the stress even remotely manageable? Please give me your honest opinions no matter what they are or tell me about your personal experiences.

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:12 AM
Replies (11-16):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM

It's not easym but it can be done. Does the school have a daycare on campus? When I wasin school the daycare on campus was phenominal. It was great because I could pick him up and drop him off right before class started.

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM
You have gotten some wonderful support here and I echo much of it. I could only keep up with breastfeeding for 3-4 months after I returned to work but my children were breastfed for 6-7 months and then we supplemented with formula until the freezer stash of breast milk until it was gone.

With my first, I was incredibly stressed about the freezer stash. I didn't do that with #2, and it made a big difference in my overall stress level. Try not to fret over the house, and as long as you are breastfeeding, your job is to feed baby at home and hubby needs to help with dinner and chores.

Given that you have a history and repor with the dept, might they let you come in part time for that first month back and then go to full time, giving you more time with baby? Since they know you, you may have some negotiation room on your start date.

Congrats and good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nena70
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I was wondering , Have you considered just staying  part time? You can enjoy more time for special moments as a mom. 

I worked full time when my kids were little, You can always work more when they are older.  I wish I could  have  worked  less than.  You  never get those early years back.  Your  life will change more than you will ever know .  Both big changes can  be overwhelming. 

If you really want that job , see if you can use family leave time  and work less hours to adjust to these big changes or start the job when the baby is a little older.

Working  and breastfeeding was not easy for me . I could not produce enought milk  and had to stop breastfeeding at 4 months.

Good luck  !!!

ShelbysHope76
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Yes, its do able for sure. Have to juggle and there will be days you'll be in a fog. I pumped at work in the bathroom, stored milk in the freezer at work. I won't lie, it's tough. But it is manageable. You got in to auto pilot mode for the 1st 3 mos. or so. Best thing is to find good care that way you are not worried during the day. I was blessed with a great day care and didn't worry too much, could call anytime I wanted. That was a big help, DH helped by giving bottles and bath and cooking dinner. I would think not having the income would be more stressful. Good luck, sounds like a great opportunity!! Just dont try to be superwoman and remember you will have good days and bad days.

Megan11587
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM

You'll find a routine that suits you, and you'll make it work.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM

what a great opportunity for you! like everybody else said, you can do it, you'll just have to get yourself into a routine. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)