Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Salary...

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM
  • 12 Replies
Would you agree with your boss when she pays your co-worker much and pays you less?
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vian512
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Where I work we get different salaries not because we do different jobs but because our boss gives her friends much and those that aren't less which I really need help with,how to deal with it.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Well, that sucks.

What I do........research what the average, high and low salaries are for my job role nationally and regionally. Update my CV & portfolio and schedule a meeting with the boss, and request the salary (usually higher as they will negotiate) I feel I deserve, NOT specifically comparing it to co-workers but to the actual data that I found. Then HR can say yay or nay or negotiate. Then I can make a decision if I stay or if I go.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM

This is a good idea. It keeps the office politics completely out of the conversation and focuses it on where your salary is compared to others in your area who do the same type of work.

Quoting Marti123:

Well, that sucks.

What I do........research what the average, high and low salaries are for my job role nationally and regionally. Update my CV & portfolio and schedule a meeting with the boss, and request the salary (usually higher as they will negotiate) I feel I deserve, NOT specifically comparing it to co-workers but to the actual data that I found. Then HR can say yay or nay or negotiate. Then I can make a decision if I stay or if I go.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this, however many salary sites are inflated and not an accurate picture of salaries.  I would still research it and have that available in your meeting with the boss.  I would also have ready SPECIFIC details on what YOU bring to the position - to the company - that makes you worth that raise.  Most salary negotiation forums I've seen indicate that you really need to sell your value and what you can do for them and why you should be paid more to do it.

Do your colleagues who are getting paid more have more education?  More experience?  More training? 

Quoting Marti123:

Well, that sucks.

Vian512
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Tried to quote but failed,actually we all are equal and my boss knows that but recently I a meeting was held and we found out that those that are paid a fortune give the boss details~rumor about every detail of what takes place when she's away.
This was evidenced in her speech.
Quoting the3Rs:

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Yes,  I know my boss looks at the work, not just the status of the employee.  But I am the one that is paid more, so I may be a little biased.

Vian512
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I wish mine could,but be glad your effort deserves more.
Quoting deccaf:

Yes,  I know my boss looks at the work, not just the status of the employee.  But I am the one that is paid more, so I may be a little biased.

HotMama330
Happy Holidays, Cafemom friends. I'll see you again in January.
Today at 11:22 AM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Completely disagree.  Do you have an HR department?  It should be the department, not your boss, determining salary.  Have you had a raise lately?  Maybe it's time to ask for one.

Quoting Vian512:

Would you agree with your boss when she pays your co-worker much and pays you less?

Connect with me.

Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

We would never know, no one at my job talks about salaries. It is possible that we are all paid a lot differently, because it depends on what unit you came from and how much you earned there. 

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Similar situation here - we all have the same job title, but I'm sure others are paid more based on where they came from & what they were earning there (two companies were bought & merged), plus as we are all remote employees I imagine cost of living in each of our areas is taken into consideration.  But, honestly that's just a guess.  I have no idea how much others make.  OP: Were you all talking about salaries when you discovered this?  Never a good idea...

Quoting Bubbie0809:

We would never know, no one at my job talks about salaries. It is possible that we are all paid a lot differently, because it depends on what unit you came from and how much you earned there. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN