Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Clothing gripe - a vent

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 15 Replies

Yesterday the high temp was 36. Sleet and rain on and off ALL day long, and windy. Two of my teenage stepkids wore shorts and tee shirts yesterday. With hoodies, because you know, hoodies are the same as coats now????? And flip flops, because God forbid kids actually wear SHOES!

Seriously??? Shorts, tee shirt, and flip flops??? In THAT weather?! Drives me crazy!

But, as the wicked stepmother, I don't really say anything about it other than to DH: "If you let them wear that crap, don't expect me to buy cold medicine and feel sorry for sick kids." Nice, aren't I?!

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Haha, yea, got to pick your battles, i guess,I always figure, once they are out of toddler years, it's up to them to dress intelligently for the weather or look like fools. I simply say, "geez, it's going to be cold today......" And of that doesn't deter them, ehhhhh, i think to myself not my fault if your freeze your balls off!!

I can only imagine how frustrating it would be with teens!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rissarin
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Haha! If it makes you feel any better, it was 36 here as well yesterday (and windy) and my 30 year old boss wore flip flops with short leggings and a dress.... ;)
MsMimna
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Where was dad when his kids were about to walk out the door? Take that back......where was dad before it got to this???? And why would he allow his kids to be so disrespectful to you that you can't tell them to "go back and change into something more appropriate for the weather" without them thinking terribly of you?? Dad needs to step up and co-parent these kids WITH you....As a team....I'm sorry but I've been there..done that and it's not easy. He should have made it perfectly clear and set boundaries from the start. Best of luck.....I didn't mean to rant on your rant.....lol

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Yeah, if they want to freeze, I don't care. But I also don't want to hear about it and I won't feel sorry for them if they turn up sick!

Quoting Marti123:

Haha, yea, got to pick your battles, i guess,I always figure, once they are out of toddler years, it's up to them to dress intelligently for the weather or look like fools. I simply say, "geez, it's going to be cold today......" And of that doesn't deter them, ehhhhh, i think to myself not my fault if your freeze your balls off!!

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

BRRR!!!! I would freeze. I don't understand how these people can wear things like that and not freeze all day!

Quoting rissarin:

Haha! If it makes you feel any better, it was 36 here as well yesterday (and windy) and my 30 year old boss wore flip flops with short leggings and a dress.... ;)

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

HA! Rant all you want!

These are my stepkids. I have taken the stance of "If it doesn't affect me or my son, I'm not going to make an issue of it." I know that's not a real popular opinion to all, but it seems to be keeping the peace in our house. DH and BM let their kids do some pretty crazy things, in my opinion. BUT....like this clothing thing, they don't affect me and they don't affect my son, so wear whatever kind of crazy outfit you want....but don't come crying to me when you get sick!

Quoting MsMimna:

Where was dad when his kids were about to walk out the door? Take that back......where was dad before it got to this???? And why would he allow his kids to be so disrespectful to you that you can't tell them to "go back and change into something more appropriate for the weather" without them thinking terribly of you?? Dad needs to step up and co-parent these kids WITH you....As a team....I'm sorry but I've been there..done that and it's not easy. He should have made it perfectly clear and set boundaries from the start. Best of luck.....I didn't mean to rant on your rant.....lol

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this
*smiles* well, the good news is, that wives tales about getting sick without proper clothes or wet hair are all untrue, research does not show increased bacterial or viral illness due to lack of clothes or coats. So as long as they manage to find shelter before frostbite sets in, they'll be fine!

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Yeah, if they want to freeze, I don't care. But I also don't want to hear about it and I won't feel sorry for them if they turn up sick!

Quoting Marti123:

leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM

they are old enough to choose what to wear, they are old enough to deal with the consequences.

christyg
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

They are teenagers! Unless what they are wearing is in some way inappropriate (foul language, revealing, etc), then making them go inside and change is ridiculous and overstepping the boundaries in the other way. My teen wears shorts and hoodies all year long. Its his choice, not mine. Unless its Easter dinner at grandmas house, I don't say anything about it. Being cold doesn't make you get sick. 

Quoting MsMimna:

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I agree. If their clothing is basketball shorts for church, that's when I'll step in and make them change. Or really, what I do is say something to DH and then he makes them go change.

Otherwise, if they want to be cold all day, I dont really care. I just don't want to hear them complain about how cold they are!

Quoting christyg:

They are teenagers! Unless what they are wearing is in some way inappropriate (foul language, revealing, etc), then making them go inside and change is ridiculous and overstepping the boundaries in the other way. My teen wears shorts and hoodies all year long. Its his choice, not mine. Unless its Easter dinner at grandmas house, I don't say anything about it. Being cold doesn't make you get sick. 

Quoting MsMimna:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)