Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Teacher Accountability

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM
  • 18 Replies
Ok, do you guys have this problem...teacher does not teach the lesson, but sends the homework home anyway. How is this our problem, if the teacher does not get to the lesson? It is so infuriating. Really, I am not a teacher, so maybe there is something I do not understand. But, relating it to my job, I would not ask a tester to test something that was not even coded. Where is the accountability for these teachers?
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
The problem is that there are typically 25 kids in a class. Teachers teach the same thing until most of the students get it. There are those kids who take longer to get it which holds up the whole class. Most teachers do as much as they can and it's not enough.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM
To add: it's our problem because it's our child. We can't realistically expect our children to learn everything they need to know in school. My opinion is that we make sure our kids learn everything we want them to know. There are too many kids at too many learning levels in every classroom.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM

We sometimes had this issue in elementary school where we would get a packet of math homework home and they teacher hadn't gone over it. I SUCK at math, and they've changed things since I was in school, so it made things very difficult.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I have had this problem, but at the college level.  It is frustrating then, and I can only imagine how it is at the primary or high school level.  I would talk to the school board or principal to see what is going on and why the parent, who hasn't been to school to get teaching credentials or possibly even be that able to teach the subject, is expected to teach the child what the teacher is supposed to be teaching.  Perhaps the teacher needs a bit of time management?

OwlNuggets
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM

This is my philosophy too.

Quoting cjsmom1:

To add: it's our problem because it's our child. We can't realistically expect our children to learn everything they need to know in school. My opinion is that we make sure our kids learn everything we want them to know. There are too many kids at too many learning levels in every classroom.

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8.gif
HotMama330
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I had a high school teacher like this.  She would assign the homework and then teach the lesson the next day.  It was like we were teaching ourselves.

Quoting CHerman76:

teacher does not teach the lesson, but sends the homework home anyway.

Connect with me.

littleangie
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess I am one of those teachers.  For me, I want the students to read and take notes on their interpretation of the text. This would be homework.  When they return, we discuss what they got out of the reading assignment This gives me a sense of how students are comprehending the material.  I then reinforce and teach it by pointing out the main events.  I teach social studies at the middle school level. 

Quoting HotMama330:

I had a high school teacher like this.  She would assign the homework and then teach the lesson the next day.  It was like we were teaching ourselves.

Quoting CHerman76:

teacher does not teach the lesson, but sends the homework home anyway.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I think there's a couple of different ways of looking at this.

Assigning the homework prior to the lesson can:

• Act as a sort of "pre-test" or baseline of knowledge
  • Build on their critical thinking, comprehension, deduction, etc. skills

The teacher could very well have taught the lesson and your child didn't (listen/understand/etc.) - not being rude, but it can happen. 

I would get the story from the teacher first before assuming she's simply not doing her job.  Secondly, if she IS assigning work prior to the lesson, hear her out.  She may have a VERY good, educational reason for doing so.  You may not agree with it, but she's the professional and deserves respect.

Sorry - I was a teacher for many years, and hearing "where's the accountability" when you don't know the full story is disheartening.

mumamy
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:13 PM

There are a lot of bad teachers out there but there are many more awesome ones (like any job with employees really). I spend a lot of money on my kids education to find the 'right teachers'. We tried public and are currently private. I have no objection moving my kids if I feel their emotional and learning needs are not met. I feel being open and talking to my kids teachers is essential even little things to help their learning come out in a candid talk - wheather its little tips they give me to try at home in the areas they are not up to scratch or that they are struggling with supplies in the classroom and I can bring them in to help their activities run easier.

CHerman76
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Hi Mumamy,

This has happened more than once, and I did speak with his teacher about it.  I said it took him and I about an hour to do one page of math because it was not taught in class (he is 9, in 3rd grade).  After acknowledging that she sent the work home that was not taught in class, her response was, "Oh, if he is spending more than 10 minutes on his homework, just write me a note telling me it is taking too long.".  Right!  He will take more than 10 minutes every night and never do his homework in that case. 

There is quite a history with us and this school.  It is a low performing school, with low performing teachers (this told to me directly from the new principal).  Even after bringing in a new principal to change things, I do not see things getting better.  I have researched options, and there seem to be no great ones (can't afford private school, don't want to go through the hassle to move when I don't even know if another school is better, plus change all 3 of my children's whole social circle).  We just hired a tutor for him because he (like many students of that school) is behind in reading.

When I have asked for ideas from his teacher before, it has not been helpful.  I ask, what do you do when Luke "shuts down" when trying to read.  She says, "I stop reading with him and walk away."  Really???  When I said his tutor is doing really well with him and has some useful techniques, she said, "Oh, that will be good for him.  Since she is from another state, she must have learned some different techniques that will help him."  What???

The most baffling part is we live in a very nice area.  There is really no excuse.  And it is very frustrating being required to depend on these people who in essence shape our children's future, and in my opinion, play a role in their self confidence.  I am really losing faith in teachers right now.

Quoting mumamy:

There are a lot of bad teachers out there but there are many more awesome ones (like any job with employees really). I spend a lot of money on my kids education to find the 'right teachers'. We tried public and are currently private. I have no objection moving my kids if I feel their emotional and learning needs are not met. I feel being open and talking to my kids teachers is essential even little things to help their learning come out in a candid talk - wheather its little tips they give me to try at home in the areas they are not up to scratch or that they are struggling with supplies in the classroom and I can bring them in to help their activities run easier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)