Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

almost 11 years

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 17 Replies
My mom lost her job of nearly 11 years. The reasoning - unable to complete tasks in a timely matter. Or something along those lines.

So why now all of a sudden and not 10 years ago? Because she got a new boss in January and my mom thinks she's just been fishing for a reason to get rid of her from the start.

I feel horrible for her. She absolutely loved her job and had so many friends there. She was an office manager at a DAC (an activity/work center for disabled adults) and she loved working with them and them her. She always had good stories to tell about what happened at work.

She misses it so much and she's only been gone for 3 days. I got her flowers and spent some time with her, but what else can you do for someone who just lost nearly 11 years of their life at a place they adored? :'(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

There are some people that just look for reasons to fire someone they may not like.  I think you are doing the right thing by spending time with her.  She may just need the connection right now.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

that's awful! it's good of you to spend time with her.

WAHMommy13
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree, spend time with her and maybe she can even volunteer at another place similar just to keep herself busy. I hope something works out.

OwlNuggets
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM

There may be a lawsuit there.

my mum went through similar difficulties and sued them for age discrimination, took the company to court and won.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM
That's great!

Right now she's trying to see what the word is around the office as to who knew what, if the board knew about this before it happened, if anyone else is on the chopping block, etc. She's already brought up lawsuits, but I don't know if she was serious or just mad at the time. Haha!! Guess we'll see.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

There may be a lawsuit there.

my mum went through similar difficulties and sued them for age discrimination, took the company to court and won.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow.  That really stinks.  Sorry :(

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

That's awful! I am so sorry this happened to her.

My Mom worked for the same company for 27 years and one day last fall the boss came in (son of the original boss) and said he was selling the company to another company and since she was 'part time' the new company was going to be laying her off.  The new company was to be there in exactly 1 hour to take over so my Mom said, "Don't bother - I am officially retiring from THIS company." and walked out.

The original group has called her several times to attend little 'family' get togethers but her feelings were so hurt, she won't go because she just doesn't want to see her old boss again.  She does keep in touch and has lunch (one on one) with some of her former coworkers from time to time.

It really sucked how it was handled but she is enjoying "retirement" now a days, which is a good thing....it just came sooner than she wanted.

I hope your Mom is ok and glad you can spend some extra time with her right now. 

mickstinator
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, that is a terrible reason for an employee of so long. I am so sorry for her. 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

That has to be tough to watch a loved one go through something like that!!

HotMama330
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Sorry to hear that.  Like one of the other posters, my first thought was age discrimination.  Unfortunately, if you live in an "at will" state, the burden of proof would be on her to prove that it was age discrimination and not the quality of her work.

Connect with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN