Our neighbors and friends across the street got a divorce and the mom moved away. We almost never see the kids anymore - who are good friends with my kids. This happened a year ago.
Just a few minutes ago, my 6 year old son came to me and said
- Him: You know that thing that happened with "X" and "X"'s mom and dad?
- Me: Yes
- Him: Is that going to happen with our family?
- Me: Nope. Not planning on that!
- Him: Good. <pause> So, that is an option though?
<is he a smart kid or what?! I mentioned we weren't planning on it, and he deduced that that means we had the *option* to plan on it later!>
- Me: Yes, it's an option but we married for life. We don't believe in getting a divorce. We'll be together forever just like grandma and grandpa.
- Him: Yeah! That's what I was hoping!
Then he ran off to play. Such a little grown up little boy I have. :)