Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Midwestern Ladies! Update- flooding

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM
  • 12 Replies

Everyone still dry?  Our daycare is closed due to flooding, the building is still dry but most of that area of town has some flooding and in some areas residents are being evacuated.  I am home with the girls today because I could not find anyone at all to watch the girls :P  We weren't hit by any tornados or high winds- there was some high wind damage in town, but we were on the fringe of all the nasty stuff last night. 

So anyone have any flooding?  We are right on the Mississippi, and the water is getting close to the top of our levees/flood walls, crest isn't expected until tomorrow.  Sandbagging crews are working really hard in several towns along the river.  Hard to believe last year we had a record drought, and the river got so low it exposed wrecks of old paddlewheelers.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flutter523
by Tracy on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Stay safe!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paytonleximomma
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I live in Iowa and we are getting pounded with lots of rain.  Rain that we could of used last summer, but oh well that is mother nature for you.  Our river that runs through town is really up but not as bad as Ive seen it in the past, however, if this rain doesnt let up we will have some flooding. 

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM

We are in Kansas. Been chilly and drizzly here. Yesterday afternoon and last night we had some thunderstorms come through with some heavy rains, but they didn't last long. No flooding or other issues that I am aware of - other than some spotty hail damage.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM

We're still flooding.  Several inches so far - 3-6 more inches expected by tomorrow.  Well over the flood stage by now.

National Guard has been called in for our county to help deal with the flooding.

My basement started flooding last week - then we thought we had it under control - until last night.  It's worse than it was before and I can't stop it.  :(

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Stay safe! Enjoy the day home with your girls
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Quoting paytonleximomma:

I live in Iowa and we are getting pounded with lots of rain.  Rain that we could of used last summer, but oh well that is mother nature for you.  Our river that runs through town is really up but not as bad as Ive seen it in the past, however, if this rain doesnt let up we will have some flooding. 

Where in IA? I am in NE Mo, and right on the Mississippi.  We have flood warnings and flash flood warnings all over the place :/  The drought last year was awful, I hope this wetness continues and isn't just a one shot deal.  One of our large pines died from that drought last year- tall as the house, and completely dead.

CafeMom Tickers
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Quoting adamsmom0116:

We are in Kansas. Been chilly and drizzly here. Yesterday afternoon and last night we had some thunderstorms come through with some heavy rains, but they didn't last long. No flooding or other issues that I am aware of - other than some spotty hail damage.

No hail here thank goodness.  The weather man was talking up to an inch sized hail, and Columbia Mo got hail larger than that for about twenty minutes last night.

CafeMom Tickers
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Besides sleep deprivation, from my YDS waling, we are good.

Had storms but luckily no damage. I am super scared as we have cracked window from the last round of storms and one hit, it's probably going to just bust wide open, *sigh* such a pain.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Didn't check our basement, lol, I hope no flooding, go sump pump go!!!!
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:30 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN