Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Security at Office

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 9 Replies

I work for a very small company in a little building with 3 suites. My suite faces the street and my desk looks out the front windows. 

Usually I do not worry too much about safety. Every once in a while, I get a little creeped out by the people that walk by on the street. 

Yesterday, a disheveled man walked right up to the door and came in. He looked at me and said, "Oh, you're beautiful." 

Oh.My.God. My heart stopped for a minute. I felt so incredibly uncomfortable! He sounded like he was messed up on something. He just wanted to know if anyone in our building owned a truck parked in the lot. Even though I told him I didn't know who drove the truck, he offered my coworker (who had walked to the front by this point) and I a grand for it.  ??

Thankfully, we managed to get him out of the office without getting theatening in any way, but he said he'd be back tomorrow (now today) to check in on the truck. If I see that dude walking around, I am LOCKING THE DOOR!

: /

Michaela
Wife to Mike
Mommy to Mitchell and Brody

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ninamsi
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

People walk in and out of the building I work in all day.  Visitors are suppose to sign in, but there is no security person to make sure that occurs. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I have never had a front of the office workspace.  It would make me uncomfortable to have random people come in for non-work related stuff.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:23 PM

That is scary. I would have been freaked out. Definitely ALWAYS follow your instincts, NEVER DOUBT them. LOCK THE DOOR>

I work on the 5th floor in my School of Nursing at the University. We share space with the School of Pharmacy. Students have put a lot of time, effort and money into these programs and if they fail it is often devastating. If students are mentally unstable, well, we have been threatened physically. ANYWAY, the school does a bomb/shooting practice evacuation this week................I know this because I read it in a email AFTER if happened. No one alerted the 5th floor faculty. Luckily it wasn't the real thing, becuase we didn't know, and second, no one missed us.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM
That's reassuring. Might want to ask for better representation on the safety committee!!!

Quoting Marti123:

That is scary. I would have been freaked out. Definitely ALWAYS follow your instincts, NEVER DOUBT them. LOCK THE DOOR>

I work on the 5th floor in my School of Nursing at the University. We share space with the School of Pharmacy. Students have put a lot of time, effort and money into these programs and if they fail it is often devastating. If students are mentally unstable, well, we have been threatened physically. ANYWAY, the school does a bomb/shooting practice evacuation this week................I know this because I read it in a email AFTER if happened. No one alerted the 5th floor faculty. Luckily it wasn't the real thing, becuase we didn't know, and second, no one missed us.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Quoting ninamsi:

People walk in and out of the building I work in all day.  Visitors are suppose to sign in, but there is no security person to make sure that occurs. 

i think the most unnerving aspect is that most of the time, it's just two other women and me in the office. we sure do seem pretty vulnerable! 

mickstinator
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting deccaf:

I have never had a front of the office workspace.  It would make me uncomfortable to have random people come in for non-work related stuff.

i keep the door locked in the morning and if i'm alone. the only people that really ever need to come in are other coworkers and mail deliverers. and the windows are always open so i can see what's going on. it's decently safe during the day, but i wouldn't want to be here late in the evening by myself!

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I would have felt weird too. Glad he didn't come back

jamberrypie
by Betty on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:21 AM

That would scare me too.  Maybe you can keep some pepper spray in a desk drawer?   I work in a company with about 120 employees.  We all wear badges, and most of the doors can only be opened with the badge, so I feel pretty safe there during the day.  When I have to come in over the weekend to work, it is a bit unnerving because it is sooo quiet there.  No one can get in without the badget, but it still makes me nervous being there all by myself.  I am always glad when a few other employees also show up to work.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM
We have all been given a course in recognizing and deescalating a potential violent encounter, and basically how to get away or disarm someone(last option) if the first technique doesn't work. We have badges but they aren't foolproof and badges don't help in the parking lot ..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN