Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

FEAR + JOB security

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:45 AM
  • 25 Replies

I want to know how many people now-a-days worry about if they are going to lose their jobs tomorrow? How are you going to pay the bills? Take care of the kids? How do you deal with the fear?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:58 AM
I think in this day and age most people think about the possibility of losing their job, but it doesn't do any good to truly fear it (in my opinion).

If DH were to lose his job, we'd have to tighten our belts a bit but I believe we'd be OK. If I lost my job it would be far worse. I'm the breadwinner & carry the insurance. I would immediately file for unemployment and start putting in applications for every job I could find. We have savings that would last a little while, and if worst came to worst we could sell a car and a lot of our other possessions.

It would be hard but I have faith that IF it happened we'd find a way to make it.
twinplus2
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I think that if you can live "below" your means, and are a two-income family, the economic storm can be weathered. (In the last few years, my husband has been laid off twice, but was able to find work in his field, once as a contractor and now as an employee),

As for health insurance, we compare plans offered each year during open enrollment and choose whichever seems better at the time. Of course,  this causes administrative hassles as it has been our experience that the health care insurance administrators are not good at keeping coordination of benefits information up to date in their files resulting in delayed insurance payouts.

honeydewmommy
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Its crossed my mind, but I don't dwell on it. Anything can happen I know that. I have seen posts on this site where some have incomes that are a fraction of what I make, so I know that you can make it work with what you get. I know the likelyhood of me ALWAYS having my current job is slim , especially in this economy. 

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Right now my job is secure- there aren't enough of us in my department as it is, and I am good at my job.  If for some reason I were to lose that job, my first step would be to reactivate DH's SSI case (right now we don't qualify due to the fact I HAVE an income) and find out how much that would help, along with unemployment.  Since I am the only wage earner if I were to lose my income we couldn't just cut expenses, we would have to get that assistance to pay our bills until I got a new job, which would be my step after dealing with SSI and unemployment- put my resume out everywhere I could.  I have thought about this, and do not fear losing my job because I know we would be able to pull through somehow- we have done it before.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I think about it. After seeing companies I worked for go under 3 different times, its always on my mind. However, I also know DH and I are 1000% capable and we will be fine no matter what happens, so I don't dwell on it. We both will do what we have to to take care of our family in the end. 

skeeter1122
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM
2 moms liked this

my husband and i are both in law enforcement.  I don't see crime going away so I think we are safe.

iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I work in financial services and over the past few years, we've held our breath whenever layoffs were coming. It would be tight for us; however, I do have a second job and I could always go back to teaching.  If those things didn't work out, then we have to tighten our belts and cut out a lot of the fun things we do. We could make it, we just wouldn't have vacations, my toddler in so many activities, and all entertainment would be at home.

Fortunately, my company broke away from the larger Monster Mega Bank with an IPO and things are somewhat more stable for us these last few years.

Traci_Momof2
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I don't worry about it too much.  If it happens, then we deal.  Part of that is because of my personality.  I just don't worry things much until they actually happen.  Another part is that both DH and I are pretty secure in our jobs.  It would be highly unlikely at this point that either one of us would lose it.

My DH was laid off several years ago and we still paid the bills and took care of the kids just fine.  I mean, we had to adapt but we did it.  We each make pretty good money so one of us losing our job is not the end of the world.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I worry about it and I don't know what I'd do. I would file for unemployment and bust my behind looking for a new job. I'm the person who financially supports my son and I pay all the bills II hate saying single parent only because my ex is in the picture).

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Somedays I'd like the vacation, lol, ok, on a more serious note, I think that is why I work two jobs, so I always feel I have one to fall back on...........we would have to dump our retirement accounts and cut back on spending, but I think we could survive.

And that's another good thing about being too busy, I have no time for fear, lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN