Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to know how many people now-a-days worry about if they are going to lose their jobs tomorrow? How are you going to pay the bills? Take care of the kids? How do you deal with the fear?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Replies (11-20):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I really don't fear losing my job. I work in education (as an assistant) and that isn't a "safe" place any more but my job provides the health care not much financially. The supervising teacher will occasionally say things about our positions/classroom possibly being in jeopardy, I tell her this isn't a career for me it's a job and if I lose it I will find another one.

If my husband lost his job I'd be a bit more concerned since he's the breadwinner so to speak but honestly as poor as we both grew up we know how to get through it. It would suck not being as comfortable as we are now but we'd be able to do it.

Medusa686
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:09 PM

When I was laid off in Dec 2011 it was the best thing that could happen.  I was always afraid of "omg what would I do if I lost my job" etc.  I was only unemployed for 6 weeks and didn't worry one bit. I focused on planning our wedding and we were married Feb 2012. Started a new job March 2012.  Getting laid off makes you brave and a stronger person.  Now although I work FT we are ,looking to have our own business.  I'd rather be in charge of my own livelihood that shit my pants when I lose my job.  There are people at work who are in their 50's and are in constant worry.  Fuck that.  Not me.  If I lose my job again, shit happens and I don't want to work for someone else anymore anyway.  I get child support of $1k per month and I went on unemployment for the 6 weeks.  If you panic and worry it accomplishes nothing.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I work for an independent firm and thankfully, my job is safe.  If my team was still at one of the big corporate places, I would totally have job security issues because there are constant layoffs in my industry.  So thankful & blessed to be in the situation that I am in now.

Given that, I still save, save, save.  I will soon have my 6 month emergency funds in place.

lowencope
by Lucy on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:20 PM
It's a worry of course but you take it one day at a time.
flutter523
by Tracy on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM
I think I'm pretty safe where I'm at but i hate it there. One if the reasons I stay is bc I know I'm not going to get cut unless I really really screw up.
Cindy18
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I'm not afraid of losing my job. I work for a great company.

I do worry about how we will pay bills if I get sick again and can't work. 3 years ago, I got sick and couldn't work for 7 months. It was very rough!

Cindy18
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

That's a lot of child support. Be thankful!

Quoting Medusa686:

When I was laid off in Dec 2011 it was the best thing that could happen.  I was always afraid of "omg what would I do if I lost my job" etc.  I was only unemployed for 6 weeks and didn't worry one bit. I focused on planning our wedding and we were married Feb 2012. Started a new job March 2012.  Getting laid off makes you brave and a stronger person.  Now although I work FT we are ,looking to have our own business.  I'd rather be in charge of my own livelihood that shit my pants when I lose my job.  There are people at work who are in their 50's and are in constant worry.  Fuck that.  Not me.  If I lose my job again, shit happens and I don't want to work for someone else anymore anyway.  I get child support of $1k per month and I went on unemployment for the 6 weeks.  If you panic and worry it accomplishes nothing.

~~CINDY

C12H22O11addict
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Im not worried.
I have savings and excellent experience. I also have good references.
Plus, the hubster has my back.
Medusa686
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I am very thankful.  But ex husband is a physical therapist and he makes a good living.  Money goes to sons' summer camp and college savings. 

Quoting Cindy18:

That's a lot of child support. Be thankful!

Quoting Medusa686:

Mommabearbergh
trying to have a smooth morning
Today at 9:54 AM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I fear it because things in our lives would drastically change I got a degree in criminal justice doesn't do as much as I wanted it to mostly did it for my grandad who wanted me to get it this fall I will be going to school in a more stable job market which is the funeral home business. With law there are budget cuts but not with death
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)