Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

:(

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:10 PM
  • 16 Replies

I got my tomatoes and peppers yesterday.  Four of the tomatoes have southern blight (a death sentence for them) and one of them was broken at the base of the stalk during shipment.  I emailed their customer service with pics, I want them to replace the tomatoes- there is one tomato unaffected, and so far the peppers are healthy too, but they all have to stay unplanted until I am sure they won't infect the rest of my garden.  It was an heirloom tomato collection, I was looking forward to having it :/

Update 4/30: having replacements sent :)  They are going to have a horticulturist give me a call- they weren't aware of any blight, but that is the only thing I can think of when it looks like this:

Update 5/13: Well I got the replacement plants, same issue.  i sent pics to our local extension office for University of Missouri, and have been communicating with a horticultural guy in between taking care of sickie.  Based on the pics and my description he thinks it is actually timber rot or a foreign substance in the growing medium- I think it is more likely timber rot as these are the only plants that I am having problems with.  I sent their customer service an email informing them of the issue and telling them I want a refund- two shipments, same problem, I don't want to chance a third and miss my planting season- I will just have to go to a local store and hope they have similar varieties that are in good health, probably tomorrow.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

:( it sounds really good. Hopefully they'll replace them

2curly
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I'm sorry, that stinks

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Oh no, I am glad they showed disease prior to planting, we almost always deal with some type of blight (but not that kind i guess) as the weather is never perfect, and we plant heirloom's too; they simply aren't as hardy.

But I am glad you realized the issue early, my worst story, sorry, venting,we got some heirloom tomatoes from a seller 3 yrs ago, and unbeknownst to us they were contaminated with a bacteria. It was horrible as there was no treatment and it contaminated our entire garden patch. It lives in the soil for 3 YEARS, with NO CURE. So could not plant any type of tomatoes, eggplants, cucumbers, etc, in that garden bed, our largest one! Supposedly, per the agriculture department at the college we could try again this year. But we are nervous, as if it comes back, then it's another three years, ugh!!!!

Good luck getting some yummy tomatoes planted!!!
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Quoting Marti123:

Oh no, I am glad they showed disease prior to planting, we almost always deal with some type of blight (but not that kind i guess) as the weather is never perfect, and we plant heirloom's too; they simply aren't as hardy.

But I am glad you realized the issue early, my worst story, sorry, venting,we got some heirloom tomatoes from a seller 3 yrs ago, and unbeknownst to us they were contaminated with a bacteria. It was horrible as there was no treatment and it contaminated our entire garden patch. It lives in the soil for 3 YEARS, with NO CURE. So could not plant any type of tomatoes, eggplants, cucumbers, etc, in that garden bed, our largest one! Supposedly, per the agriculture department at the college we could try again this year. But we are nervous, as if it comes back, then it's another three years, ugh!!!!

Oh no boo on bacteria :(  That is the only thing I dislike about the heirloom varieties, is the lack of hardiness.  Did the ag department mention solarization to you?  Idk if it would work this early for bacteria, but you can tightly cover your garden bed with a clear plastic tarp for about four to six weeks in the hot period of the year, until the soil is heated to about 125 degrees.  Some basic info:http://www.weekendgardener.net/organic-weed-killer/solarization-100710.htm

CafeMom Tickers
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Thanks. They did but we were skeptical we got it hot enough for long enough!

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting Marti123:

Oh no boo on bacteria :(  That is the only thing I dislike about the heirloom varieties, is the lack of hardiness.  Did the ag department mention solarization to you?  Idk if it would work this early for bacteria, but you can tightly cover your garden bed with a clear plastic tarp for about four to six weeks in the hot period of the year, until the soil is heated to about 125 degrees.  Some basic info:http://www.weekendgardener.net/organic-weed-killer/solarization-100710.htm

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:51 AM

That stinks!

Cindy18
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM

That sucks.

Where did you get them from?

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Quoting Cindy18:

That sucks.

Where did you get them from?

A nursery I have used a lot of times, White Flower Farms.  Hundreds of dollars and several years of ordering and this is the only issue I have had, so I'm not upset about it, blight can happen in even the best conditions.  I just need the tomatoes replaced so I can get them planted in time.

CafeMom Tickers
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

My last tomato is wilting today :(  Guess it has blight, just isn't showing it yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN