Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

How has being a mom made you a better worker

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 8 Replies

I found this and thought it was interesting and man of them are very true for me-What about you? How has being a mom made you a better worker?

Moms share: How motherhood made me a better worker

(MoneyWatch) For working moms, few transitions are bigger than finishing maternity leave and heading back to the office for the first time.  But once they're settled into a routine, some new moms see their changed perspective as an asset at work. Here's how two working mothers say their new "second" jobs make them better at their first.

Procrastination may become less appealing

When you have so much to come home to, surfing the web or gossiping with co-workers can become a thing of the past. "I take my time more seriously, and get more done in less time," reports Tami Monahan Forman, new mom and Senior Director of Global Corporate Communications at Return Path, Inc., a digital marketing firm.

Delegating can become easier

Most working moms realize early on that they'll need some help at home, whether from a partner or a paid employee, like a nanny. Stephanie King-Myers, Founder of Bottle & Bottega, an art studio franchise, says she also learned to ask for help on the job. "Having a baby has made me realize that I can't do it all, I have to trust in my ability to hire and train a great staff and in their ability to do the job I've hired them to do," says King-Myers.

Usual office stress may be less jarring

Some moms report feeling far more confident in their abilities as an employee or boss post-baby. Says Forman: "I'm not sure if it was the whole experience of childbirth or dealing with newborns, or both, but I'm a lot less fearful in day-to-day situations."

Ambition can be increased

For some women, adopting the new role of mother can force them to reevaluate how much time and energy they want to put into their work. But for other women, like Forman, it can affirm their dedication to their success outside the home: "I think in the back of my head I had the idea that I'd be a stay-at-home mom," says Forman. "But when I realized that I really like being a working mom, I cranked it up."

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mickstinator
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

i would have to agree with many of these points. i don't think there was an instant change, but i deifnitely handle these generalized skills better now than i did before parenthood. my ability to handle stress has definitely increased.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Bump :)
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Definitely able to minimize the office politics and ignore annoyances; I guess I am just too tired and exhausted to get emotionally invested. Before kids, my job was my life, now it's a part of it. Although it is still stressful, it's not as consuming psychologically as my family.
Vian512
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:42 AM
Being a Mother has helped me too in that I manage my time properly and and never stressed out like before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
freenuts
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

My goals are more focused and I achieve much more than before. My stress resistance has reached unimaginable levels (I have twin toddlers and work from home). It also has made me appreciate more the value of working for what I want and not expect it to fall from the sky or from third parties.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I think this article made some great points

Nena70
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I ve learned that I can be a leader, I can delegate and  I can create a working environment that is positive and happy.  I never had this confidence when I was young , being  a mom helped me so much.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I was always good at multi-tasking, being efficient and ambitious, but what it did was make me able to get ready much quicker!  It used to take me an hour to get ready for work and now I can get ready in 20 minutes!  LOL  Any extra sleep I can get is what counts!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)