Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Do you have a back-up daycare plan?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM
  • 21 Replies

If your "normal" daycare is closed for the day, either for vacation or other reasons, do you have someone else that you can call? .... Or do you/SO take the day off from work?

I have a single mom daycare client, who literally has nobody, and she is giving me a huge guilt trip for taking a 3 day vacation this summer, since she is in school and can't miss class. The way I see it, its not my problem! Is that too harsh of me?

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mickstinator
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM

i think it's completely reasonable considering she already knows months in advance. you can't be expected to have open doors every business day of the year. 

when i used an in-home daycare, the director would give me the contact info of a few other in-home daycares in the area if i needed someone else to watch the kids. i never needed them, but i appreciated the effort.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I think she has plenty of time to figure out something.

We do have an alternate if my mil can't do it because of an appointment. If it's a last minute thing I'll usually take the day off or make DH get up and watch DS until I get home from work. I like to have a couple days notice to talk to our alternate just in case she has any plans.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM

We have 3 teenagers who can usually babysit the 7yo. When they can't, DH or I take off work. Sometimes I work from home.

I would not fall into the guilt trip. You've given her what sounds like plenty of advance notice of your 3-day vacation. She should be able to find someone. What would she do if you woke up with the stomach flu? Surely she would not insist you watch her kid that day! She needs a back up plan.

andrea96
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM

No. I either take a vacation day or work from home. 3 days is not too much for an in-home daycare; many take a week at a time. That's one of the main reasons I used centers most of the time - so that I didn't have to tie my vacations to the provider's.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:14 PM

We have a center, so we know when they are closed as it is for regular holidays.  Barring a disaster, they don't need to close for vacations.  If, however, I had a private daycare person, I would expect a month or two notice for vacations.  Emergencies, well you can't plan those, and that is part of why I have a center.  When DD is ill, I or DH takes off.  For days that daycare is closed, there are options, from MIL or my friend watching her to one of us taking off if we don't already have the day off.

lilbit53009
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM

it's not your problem at all. you're giving her plenty of advanced notice (i assume since you said this summer).

my jobs really flexible where i have alot of vacation time and i can work from home. so this is never an issue for me. even if it was last minute and my sons daycare provider would call to say she was sick i'd just email my boss and work from home.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Back when I used daycare (seems so long ago now!) my in-home provider couldn't do it one day (last minute) but gave me the name of another in-home provider.  I probably would have just taken the day off, but I taught the daughter of this other provider so I knew her well and trusted her with my kiddos.

But, otherwise, either DH or I would just stay home with them.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM
It's a summer vacation. It's not even actually May yet. I think you're being fair. You've given her enough time. It might be rough for her, but when you run a daycare in your own home, a 3 day summer vacation is almost necessary. ;)
jamberrypie
by Betty on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:15 PM

You are entitled to take a vacation.  When my kids were small, all of our daycare providers had one big scheduled vacation in the year.  My husband and I took turns taking PTO days to cover that time.  On some days, we would each only take 1/2 day off.  I would work 4 hours, then come home and then we would switch, and my husband would go in to work for the rest of the day.  It worked for us.  It just meant that we didn't take a lot of vacations ourselves though.  

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

It's not your problem, good grief, you are entitled to days off too.

With that said, I feel for her though. It's really hard to find back-up daycare. My parents have to drive about 2 hours one way to help me, otherwise my DH or I have to take off work. I do not like leaving my children with a single caregiver, that I do not know very well, and so far we have never really done that. But now that my ODS is 5, I will probably start looking at those options because he can now, for the most part, relay reliable stories about the day's occurences, and would tell me if there was neglect occurring.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN