Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Working night shift!

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:19 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm the mom of a 9 month old who is sleeping more at night now. The problem is that I sleep during the day because I work all night. Is there anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions on how to handle it?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vian512
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:33 AM
Do you have anyone with you at home or a close relative who could help with baby while you sleep or go to work?
Because if there's anyone who could help you in that area then your life will be simplified.
Hugs dear~
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on May. 1, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I haven't worked overnight since DS was born but DH and I wer on 2nd shift for all of his 1st year and he was on our schedule. Others thought it was weird but it worked for us.

Do you have anyone that can watch you little one while you get some sleep?

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I haven't been in that situation.  My brother used to work nights while going to Law School and his wife was a teacher, so my parents would babysit (they drove 2 hours one way EVERY DAY to babysit!).

Other than putting him in daycare or having someone come in and watch him while you sleep, I can't think of another solution that would work.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I am sorry.  That must suck.  I have no advice to offer, just sympathy.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Oh, no, that is rough. Are you the sole caregiver during the day? Or are you just sad that you are sleeping while baby's awake now and under the care of someone else?

jln005
by New Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I'm the sole caregiver currently, but that's going to have to change soon because I can't sleep! All of our nearby relatives are working during the day. I don't want to put him in daycare because it's so expensive and I already hate how long I am away from him, but I might have to find a daycare anyway.

toopicky429
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I worked 12 hour night shifts for a long time. I would sleep when my kids were napping so I only got 3 or 4 hours a day. I ended up switching to days as soon as I could. Luckily my kids are in school now so when I work the occasional night shift I can sleep for 2 or 3 hours while they're at school. Good luck!
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Try putting the baby on your sleep schedule

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Been doing it for over 8 years through 2 pregnancies, etc.  I nap when they do and I make sure they get their sleep!

**9 months is when separation anxiety and stranger anxiety rear their ugly heads.

1) to bypass the separation anxiety, i gave my child my sleep shirt so they had Mommy scent for comfort

2) I stick to a schedule/routine

3) black out curtains/shades--in my room as well as theirs

4) white noise--standing fan and/or soft classical lullabye music on a timer

5) infant/toddler massage with lavender lotion

6) tire them out in the day by going to the park, the pool, the sand box, etc.  aka active play

7) warm breastmilk/formula/whole milk before nap (brush teeth afterwards)

8) Playtex baby hammock--sling thats set up like a messenger bag so it distributes their weight across your back so there isnt so much pressure on your neck and shoulders and good up to 2ys+

9) melatonin to help you fall asleep faster

10) B12/B-complex, Vitamin D, Omega 3 and iron for energy

Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM
they sleep less and less (he will soon be down to one 2 hour nap) if not already, and mine pretty much need constant one on one attention until around 3yo at a minimum, and even then he could probably only entertain himself for 30min-an hour or so. Really to be fair to him, he needs fairly constant interaction, sorry mama.

In the summer, you can get high school girls to come to your house, so at least he is still "with you" good luck.

Quoting jln005:

I'm the sole caregiver currently, but that's going to have to change soon because I can't sleep! All of our nearby relatives are working during the day. I don't want to put him in daycare because it's so expensive and I already hate how long I am away from him, but I might have to find a daycare anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN