Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yahoo CEO offering longer paid maternity leave

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

What do you think of this?

The Yahoo CEO who ended telecommuting two months ago, is now giving moms and dads 8 weeks of paid maternity leave with paid benefits for each new baby. Moms are also receiving an additional 8 weeks of paid time off.

Do you wish your company offered leave to mom and dad plus additional time for moms?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mickstinator
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM

my company has no maternity leave. i was allowed to be off for an appropriate amount of time after both of my pregnancies i had while here, but it was completely voluntary on their part since we're too small to even be held to fmla standards. 

my husband could have taken paternity leave for up to 6 weeks at 2/3rd pay (i believe it's categorized under short term disability). 

of course i would have loved to take that much time off while getting paid!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I think it's great that she is implementing family friendly policies.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I think that's great. Many new parents worry about how they're going to afford maternity leave and save up all the time they can so they can get paid while they're out.

funhappymom
by Marie on May. 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Quoting mickstinator:

my company has no maternity leave. i was allowed to be off for an appropriate amount of time after both of my pregnancies i had while here, but it was completely voluntary on their part since we're too small to even be held to fmla standards. 

my husband could have taken paternity leave for up to 6 weeks at 2/3rd pay (i believe it's categorized under short term disability). 

I'm sure that was hard only taking a short amount of time off.

With my second baby, I had to take unpaid time off because I was only part time and didn't get any maternity leave.

mickstinator
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Quoting funhappymom:

Quoting mickstinator:

I'm sure that was hard only taking a short amount of time off.

With my second baby, I had to take unpaid time off because I was only part time and didn't get any maternity leave.

Yeah, I took 3 (unpaid) weeks with my first and 7 (partially paid bc i saved up vacation time) weeks with my second. it was no bueno! but i was just happy to have a job. 

leahbeah143
by Leah on May. 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Quoting deccaf:

I think it's great that she is implementing family friendly policies.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I think that is wonderful the company can afford to do that!! I wish more would.

I was a little shocked to find out I get NO paid vacation or maternity leave benefits in my faculty job at the university. So honestly I guess, I won't plan on taking any time off this fall, since I can do so much work online; but I'll just have to see how things go, if I am able to do that. I will be taking unpaid leave from my clinical job with the hospital/clinic, I think I have a week or two of extended sick bank time, that I can use, but otherwise I am taking it all unpaid. I also really want to take a full 4 months of leave, and I am worried they will fire me, since FMLA only allows 12 weeks. We shall see!

There's a mom from Canada in my due date group and she states they can take a YEAR off at 55% pay, could you imagine? I am so jealous, but on the flip side of that I can't imagine paying anymore taxes to make a system like that work here! At some point, why bother working so hard, if all the money is taken away, lol.

Josie_P
by Josie on May. 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM
That's awesome! I get paid maternity leave for 140 days at 100% and then after that for the rest of the year, it's 50% of my salary. I think I'm very lucky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Tracy on May. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM
That's great! I get nothing. Once my sick time is gone its all unpaid. I do get the state disability but its only $170 a week max minus taxes. No where close to my salary. I pay into a supplemental disability policy so of I'm ever out on disability I will get my full salary. It's an added benefit I pay for though.
Medusa686
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:26 AM

We have FMLA which is 12 weeks job protection and you can use all of your time to get paid out.  The Yahoo CEO had to do that because she was getting too much heat for eliminating working from home.  Its a good gesture but still does not compare to Europe and the UK.  They get 1-2 years off with job protection.  I know because I'm an HR Manager and my last company was based in the UK.  We had an employee in Germany who got 2 years of maternity leave which was standard for all there.  You really need to stay home for at least a year. The US is one of the worst countries in terms of family leave.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)