by Mary Fischer
OMG, you guys. It's April. Like the end of April. And you know what that means? In a matter of a couple months, I'll be wearing shorts, sundresses, and (gulp) swimsuits -- which means it's about time to get my ass in gear and finally shed the extra layer of blah I've been carrying around since the holidays.
And that's why on Monday, I'm starting a 10-day Spring detox that will literally clean me out, refresh my spirit, and restore energy to my body so I can once again feel like I want to take over the world. (No, not literally, but you know what I mean.)
Ok, so I know what you're thinking. Something like, "Ugh. A detox? No way. I can't deprive myself for 10 days straight -- even if it does help me feel a thousand times better."
Believe it or not, the Spring Renewal Detox I'll be doing is food based, meaning I'll be enjoying three meals a day, two snacks -- and won't have to worry about feeling lethargic, hungry, or irritable. (Yep. You get to eat on this one. A total plus.)
And the best part is that I'll have my friend Lisa Consiglio Ryan of Whole Health Designscoaching me along and supporting me the entire time. Lisa is a holistic health counselor -- and this isn't the first time I've detoxed with her. I did another one of her 10-day programs a couple years ago -- and I never felt better than after I completed it. (The picture at left was taken post-detox ... didn't I look good?)
Ok, ok, I'm sure you want to know what exactly the benefits of detoxing are, and what kind of results I can expect to see after the program is finished.
I'm breaking it down for you into seven reasons I really want and need to detox.
- Weight loss -- Duh. I've been carrying around a few extra unwanted pounds since the beginning of winter, and it's time for them to GO. This detox has an average weight loss of 4 to 10 pounds. (Score.)
- Decreased belly fat and bloating -- Hello? There's nothing worse than a muffin top. And 10 days from Monday, I won't have one anymore.
- Energy -- I am so sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. By cleaning out my system, I'll feel so much lighter overall, and the fatigue that's been plaguing me will magically disappear.
- Amazing sleep -- Seriously. It's incredible how much more soundly you sleep at night when you cut the junk from your diet. I'm really looking forward to getting some great z's while on this detox.
- No more cravings -- Every time I cut the crap, I lose my cravings for sugar, processed foods, and booze. (Yes, I'm being serious.)
- A natural glow -- Turns out you don't have to get knocked up to achieve a radiant complexion. By drinking plenty of water and eating foods that flush out toxins, my skin is going to look awesome.
- The fog will lift -- Lately, I've felt kind of scatterbrained, depressed, and out of it. Detoxing almost feels like pulling up a window shade to expose the sunlight as far as my mental and emotional state goes.
Man. I can't wait to feel like "me" again.
And yes, I have to give up caffeine, wine, sugar, and my boyfriend (filet mignon) -- but it's SO gonna be worth it.
Wish me luck -- I'll be back again after I'm done to report my results, which I'm sure will be fantastic!
Have you ever tried a detox?
Image via Mary Fischer