Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you are sick?

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM
  • 14 Replies

I went home sick on Thursday and did not go into work on Friday, I felt really ill.  Just starting to feel better today but I'm dreading going into work Monday.  Why?  Because for some bizarre reason my employer does not have backup for anyones jobs.  I will come into a huge pile of work.  I have yet to take holidays this year.  I really need a break yet at the same time dread taking it because I will come back to a huge mess and backlog.  I've never worked for a place like this before where everyones job is so compartmentalized, no cross training or supervision. Some days I fantasize about winning the lottery and quitting with no notice.  At this point nobody really knows how to do my job and they'd be left scrambling.  If I felt appreciated at work, if I were paid a fairer wage, I would not have these thoughts.

What happens at your work place when you are sick or on holidays?

by on May. 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 12, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I'm sorry. I glad to hear you are feeling better.

I'm an assistant in a special ed classroom. When I am out sick they get a sub, if they have one to send in,  otherwise the teacher and other classroom assistant do what I would normally do. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM
I do what I can from home if needed. Everything else waits until I get back.
bebe_ju-rah
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I'm a sales rep and can work from home if needed and nobody would care. As long as my clients are taken care of, my employer could care less where I am.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Someone else has to be here so things would be ok.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM
This for me too.

Quoting deccaf:

I do what I can from home if needed. Everything else waits until I get back.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on May. 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Glad you are feeling better. At my last job, nothing got done. At this job, I just bring my laptop home so I can keep up if needed. However, I have yet to take a day off.

flutter523
by Tracy on May. 13, 2013 at 7:38 AM
There is usually a sub to cover my class. If not, my ed aide is left alone with them. Nothing I leave for them usually gets done while I'm out
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on May. 13, 2013 at 8:30 AM

There aren't many that know how to do my post at work so either the other guards cover my shift or they stick someone in here. Thankfully I don't have to worry about anything piling up because everything is done by each shift.

leahbeah143
by Leah on May. 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM

lol I was just talking to a coworker about needing to start playing the lottery. She bursted my bubble when she said she heard I have a 1 in 78 million chance of winning.

Unless it's an emergency, stuff stays on my desk. We aren't big on cross training around here.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Unless it's an emergency, the work waits for me until I get back.  If it's something that needs to be done ASAP and I'm sick - I'll usually just take care of it while sick (I work from home, so it's not that hard).  If I'm on vacation, then other members of my team will take care of it to the best of their availability.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)