Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new here.....need voices other than ones in my head.....lol

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi.....I have 4 kids...24,21,13,11......my newest dilema is this......

I have thought several times over the years about going back to school(left college 3rd semester to have a family)....but I soooooo do not know what to study, what I can do this late in life(I am 44, not a spring chicken, but not retirement age either). I currently work in the Retail world, but not tied to one store. Pretty fortunate actually to have the job I do. But that's the thing.....it's a "job", not a career.......I live paycheck to paycheck......We do fine, but what future do I , much less my kids, have??

When I started college I was headed towards pre-law.........too ambitious for now.

I love the field of psychology.......but everything i see within that field requires graduate school. Um, not 20 anymore with forever in front of me.

Just looking for some opinions......advice.......maybe a direction.........any help greatly appreciated.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
deccaf
by Group Admin on May. 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I am going for accounting.  I graduate in December.  It's a growing field that is in high demand.  And lots of options when you get that degree.

TS9509
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM
My dad went back to school at 42 in graphic design and graduated last week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christyg
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Im in a similar boat ... kids ages 20, 18, 14, 12 - two are in college already. Im 42 years old (almost 43)

I run a daycare from my home, but its not a career. I am taking early childhood classes right now online to get my feet wet in the whole college system - because I knew they would be easy to pass, lol - but I dont think its what I want to do forever. I play around with the idea of opening a daycare center, but the politics of it are becoming beyond crazy.

I keep researching college and degree option, but I dont really want to go for 4 year and then not be able to actually get a job after it all. 

Have you considered opening your own store? Or maybe going into mechandising? Or maybe the corporate side of retail? 

leahbeah143
by Leah on May. 29, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I think it really matters what you would like to spend the rest of your working years doing.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM

There are some jobs you can get with a BA in psych (look at psych hospitals in your area). Make sure whatever you go back for is something you really want to do. Also, look into what jobs are in high demand in your area.

HotMama330
by on May. 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Maybe make an appointment to talk to someone at the local college.  They might be able to help you narrow down what you can do.

Connect with me.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jun. 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I don't know that any of us can tell you what you should do because that's a personal decision. I could see business classes with a focus on accounting as a later career decision. My degree is in engineering. While it allows you to get a job right out of a 4 year degree, it is far from easy to get through and requires a real passion for the work. You may also be able to go back for teaching. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)