Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Babysitter

Posted by on May. 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: How much would you expect if 40,000 was considered comfortable/middle class in your area?

Options:

100 or less

100 - 150

150 - 200

200 +

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

I have a 5 year old son and I am pregnant with a little boy.

I am going to be in the market for a sitter for both kids. I plan to home school my oldest, so I will need a sitter for him through out the day.

Minimum wage in this area is something like 7.35 I think. It might be higher now, but I know it's not even hit 8 yet.

To give you and idea of the cost of living- My husband and I live comfortably on 40,000 a year - no assistance needed

We currently pay my mom 200 a month to babysit my oldest, but she said she can't continue past August. I have seen some moms on here say that they'd be happy to watch two kids for 75 a week, some say 100 and then some are reaching into the 3-4 hundred range. I even saw someone say 700 a WEEK!!!!That is my rent for a 4 bedroom single for a MONTH.

Duties would include:

6:30 AM to 4:00 PM daily

Newborn care

Ensuring that my oldest was getting enough exercise each day ( 2 hours + of outside physical activity )

Monitoring his eating habits

Giving medications for NON CONTAGIOUS illness ( my son has ADHD, the baby will break teeth and get a fever etc)

Limiting TV time

Using 1-2-3 Magic discipline techniques

Using a communication journal for any behavior problems that might be had - I need this for my son's therapist

Problems that may arise:

My oldest has MANAGED ADHD and ODD. Meaning most of the time he is fine, but occasionally ( once a week or less ) he will have an off day and just have an attitude, but nothing seriously horrible, just a bad day.

by on May. 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mickstinator
by on May. 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know anyone who would take 200/month for a 5 year old and a newborn for that much care. 

For my area, which has a higher median income, but not by a ton, I would expect a minimum of 25/day per kid. MINIMUM.

Daycare is expensive. I have spent the same as my mortgage for part time care for my two kids when my son was a baby.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I looked into getting someone to come to my house.  It would have been about 800 a month.  Not bad, but if I am going to pay that much, I want her at the center where she gets social activities and is guaranteed a curriculum, activity, and healthy meals.

....ClvrScn.
by on May. 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Wow really? I paid 100 a week for my son when he was in daycare and that was a private preschool / daycare in the most expensive part of town. It was pretty hard to get him in there, but it was worth it. I couldn't imagine paying 300 a week for child care.

My mom does it for 200 a month, because it's helping her out and us - I was looking to pay about 600 a month MAX for 2 kids

Quoting mickstinator:

I don't know anyone who would take 200/month for a 5 year old and a newborn for that much care. 

For my area, which has a higher median income, but not by a ton, I would expect a minimum of 25/day per kid. MINIMUM.

Daycare is expensive. I have spent the same as my mortgage for part time care for my two kids when my son was a baby.

mickstinator
by on May. 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM

yes, i am at one of the most reasonably priced daycares in my area, too. 

i have had a few in-home sitters. one charged 25/day (and she was uncertified and terrible. i was sympathetic for her bc her 4 year old has cancer, but the childcare relationship only lasted 3 months) and the other charged 35/day (she was certified and IMO a little negligent, but not awful). those were for my two sons when they were both babies.

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

Wow really? I paid 100 a week for my son when he was in daycare and that was a private preschool / daycare in the most expensive part of town. It was pretty hard to get him in there, but it was worth it. I couldn't imagine paying 300 a week for child care.

My mom does it for 200 a month, because it's helping her out and us - I was looking to pay about 600 a month MAX for 2 kids

Quoting mickstinator:

christyg
by on May. 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Are you looking for someone to come to your home. a home daycare or SAHM, or a daycare center?

andrea96
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I would expect to pay at least $150/week just for the infant, and at least another $75-$100/week for the 5-year-old. I haven't had in-home-type care since my daughter was an infant 10 years ago; I paid (I think) around $450 a month for her then. At licensed daycare centers, we paid around $240/week for infant care; my youngest was still almost $200/week until he started kindergarten. We do not live in a high cost of living area.

LaffItUpFzbl
by on May. 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM

You've been lucky. We paid an in home sitter $175 a week and all she had to do was come here and play with the kids and cruise her phone and eat all day. Daycare would be $600 a week. 

melissaaytes
by New Member on May. 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Right now we pay $100 a week for our 3 year old to go to an in home sitter 5 days a week 7:45-4:45, she does breakfast when needed, lunch, and snack.  When our newborn gets here and I go back to work it will be $150 a week.  She is wonderful!!!  She has about 6 kids and then her 5 yo when she is not in preschool.  My 3 yo would tell me if there was anything crazy going on lol!

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I would expect at least $25/day per kid. She'll be working 9 1/2 hours everyday at fifty dollars a day that's only six something an hour so below minimum wage. 

I used to pay $800 a month for daycare for ds.

Pink.Sunshine.
by on May. 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM

babies to toddlers are $200-$250 weekly here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)