Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is it ok?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM
  • 7 Replies
At what age is it safe to leave your children at home by themselves? Do I use my own judgement as far as them being mentally "grown up" then they actually are? Is there a law that they have to be a certain age? Now I'm not saying I wanna leave them food and water while I go to work for 9 hours, it's nothing like that i wouldnt even think of it! It's more of a needing to run to the store or go get us some fast food, simple stuff like that. Your input is much appreciated, thanks a bunch!
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM
The local news did a story on this a while back, (this was Kansas City) and they were stating for starting for a short amount of time, around age of 10 years. Some really mature kids as young as 8, and some kids who are slower to mature not until age twelve. They emphasized it really varies on the maturity of the child and their ability to react to problems that might arise.
toopicky429
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I think (depending on the kid) 12 or 13 is ok. I don't think I'd let my kids be home alone before then, but they're 6 and 7 right now so I haven't given it a lot of thought. I was a paid babysitter at 10, lol. Kind of scary when I think about it now.
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Legal age in Missouri is twelve.  Any younger than that and you as the parent can get in serious trouble.  I had a great babysitting job because of that law, sixty a week to watch an eleven year old, make sure he did his chores and homework, after school until his mom got home.  I would check your state's laws about minimum age for a child to be home alone, just in case.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Check the legal age in your area. I would also say it depends on the maturity of the kid.
nomadbrat83
by Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM
I started staying home at age 8. I would say between 8-12 depending on maturity level.
flutter523
by Tracy on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Around here they offer a babysitting course to those. 11 and older so that makes me think that's the accepted age. But I agree it depends in your judgement of your kids. Start small and run a quick errand to see how they do and gradually increase the time you're gone.
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I think it matters the maturity of the kid as well. DD is 13 and has been staying home alone just fine for a few years. She knows not to mess with the stove, not to answer the door, not to leave the house, etc. She has her cell phone and the house phone for emergencies, and my mom works just down the street basically. For the most part she's only home for a little while after school, but she will be home this summer when she's not at her dad's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)