Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

It's stuff like this-long

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM
  • 7 Replies
That makes me want to quit my job.
I just came back from maternity leave. I'm trying to pump and bf because baby is at daycare 1 day a week with daddy weekends, and grandma 1day a week. Weekends and the day with grandma I have 12-1 off which I go home/gmas an feed baby and pump.
BUT Fridays I work 8-5pm.
I asked work if I could use the staff bedroom and pump(its a femal home too). Boss said yes. Today is my first day doing so. It takes me all of 5min to pump.
I had to pump around 10am because she had work(which I go with her to) from 11-1:30. I pumped again at 3:50 after we got back from shopping.

Here's the issue, both times she got up and took things. This is a problem for a few reasons. 1 she isn't supposed to walk around with out one of us holding in to her gait belt, she uses a walker but still pin balls off the walls. 2 it's what she took and went and hid.
First time it was money, granted it was hers, but it was money being saved for her trip tomorrow, dinner money. She took it then lied when I asked where it went, she then wanted to spend it but then gets angry later when she does not have money for food.
Second time it was food. She's on a fairly strict diet as she is diabetic. She took food into her room and ate it knowing that we have to document everything she eats, and I had JUST given her a snack before going in the staff room.

On top of this the program got her a job....in a confession stand. So she spent her entire shift(2hrs) sitting in her walker refusing to do things that required walking and saying she was hungry, then proceeded to eat a huge nacho and a pop.
I'm supposed to redirect but that one is impossible. We get talked to about this all the time though how we need to do more redirection but that they are adults and can do as they please.
I'm afraid if I tell my boss that she is doing stuff like this while I pump that they won't let me anymore. There is no law in wa state to protect me and although I'm supposed to get a lunch hour she is a 24hr client and they already say "oh you can just go sit outside or in the staff room.

Idk I'm kind of done with this job, I applied as a bank teller already because its the only job higher paying entry level that I can find. Hopefully that comes through.

/rant
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JeremysMom
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I'll be honest, this was very hard to read/understand. I was about half way through thinking "Is she talking about the grandmother, the boss, or someone else?". I finally realized that you were referring to a client. You may want to consider proofreading this because it is a bit confusing. You may get more responses if you do.

Anyways, is there any way that another staff member could keep an eye on her while your pump?

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM

How many employees does your company have?  If over fifty, FEDERAL law covers you unless you are salaried.  Check out www.usbreastfeeding.org for info about the working/pumping moms provisions in the new healthcare act.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Are you the only person on shift when you're there? You need to pump and if you have permission then continue to do it. Your client would be trying to sneak stuff regardless of if you are pumping, using the bathroom, or anything else.

Diatech12
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:17 PM
I'm sorry! I made this in my phone, I can edit it wen I get to my computer!
There isn't another staff person, in actually responsible for 2 ladies in that home but the other is in a cruise.

Quoting JeremysMom:

I'll be honest, this was very hard to read/understand. I was about half way through thinking "Is she talking about the grandmother, the boss, or someone else?". I finally realized that you were referring to a client. You may want to consider proofreading this because it is a bit confusing. You may get more responses if you do.

Anyways, is there any way that another staff member could keep an eye on her while your pump?

Diatech12
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Well that depends, I actually work for the county, well a program within the county a guess. Just those of us who work with the clients there are around 40but there are office people and bosses to so I think there ha to be at least 50!
I did not know that changed any thing so thank you!

Quoting preacherskid:

How many employees does your company have?  If over fifty, FEDERAL law covers you unless you are salaried.  Check out www.usbreastfeeding.org for info about the working/pumping moms provisions in the new healthcare act.

Diatech12
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I am the only one. And I've talked about it on here before, sometimes I feel the company is jipping some clients because if they live in the same home they get "double coverage" instead of individual coverage.
The thing is she has never done this to be in the 5 months I've worked with her.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Are you the only person on shift when you're there? You need to pump and if you have permission then continue to do it. Your client would be trying to sneak stuff regardless of if you are pumping, using the bathroom, or anything else.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Federal law should cover you then.  Speak to your HR person if you have one.  That website I posted has info you can print off for employers, so you have something to back you up.

Quoting Diatech12:

Well that depends, I actually work for the county, well a program within the county a guess. Just those of us who work with the clients there are around 40but there are office people and bosses to so I think there ha to be at least 50!
I did not know that changed any thing so thank you!

Quoting preacherskid:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN