Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for a Job After Getting Fired

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM
  • 22 Replies
Hello, I am looking for some advice. I worked in life insurance for 3 1/2 years before my mom and 15 yr old cousin passed within 3 weeks of each other. I had never been wrote up and was always a top producer. After taking 2 months off to deal with my depression, I was put on a 3 month performance plan but after 12 days I was fired. How do I explain that in an interview? The career advisor at the college I graduated from says be honest but don't mention personal stuff like the deaths; friends say to mention it because most employers will sympathize. I have an interview Friday after months of rejection.
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JewelJones
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I would mention it, don't get too detailed, though. Just say there were deaths in your family that led to personal problems which then led to you performance. They whould understand. Will your last employer give a good reference?

mchll_mrchnt
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM
I really don't know. I am hoping that they don't talk to my last supervisor. He was only my supervisor for 4 1/2 months and before he fired me I had asked to be moved to inbound sales bc outbound was harder due to my anxiety and the deaths. I was told by HR that if I had anxiety it would be the same no matter what department i was in.
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I would just mention that due to deaths in your family, your focus was on your family's well-being at the time moreso than your work and reassure them that you have been able to move past your grief and can now re-focus you energy at the tasks at hand with little if any further distraction.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:08 AM

maybe you should switch fields then such as auto insurance, home insurance, etc. numbers are numbers.

mchll_mrchnt
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM
I am not wanting to be insurance. I have an interview for a shift supervisor at Rite Aid. I just wanna use my bachelors degree.
mchll_mrchnt
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM
I have applied for 50+ jobs with only two interviews and I was just wondering if me getting fired was the issue even tho I believe it was unfair
mickstinator
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I am not sure. I guess I would probably mention something like "difficult family issues that lead to a period of absence" as your reason for removal. Good luck, Hon. That's a tough spot. 

deccaf
by Group Admin on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I can't really help, but here's a bump so others can read and maybe help.

mchll_mrchnt
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have never told an interviewer that I was fired. I have said that I had events that led to me leaving the company.

Quoting mickstinator:

I am not sure. I guess I would probably mention something like "difficult family issues that lead to a period of absence" as your reason for removal. Good luck, Hon. That's a tough spot. 

christaberk
by Christa on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Wow. I don't know.

Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)