Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Have you ever had a crazy landlord?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 14 Replies

I was just reading an article on CNN.com about a couple who were really psycho landlords. They broke into their tenants apts, stole stuff, pretended to be them, shut off their water and utilities, etc.

Have you ever had any crazy landlords?

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
funhappymom
by Marie on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM

We moved to Jersey about 12 years ago and rented a second floor apt from an older couple who seemed really sweet. We told them that we had a lot of family from out of town and told them they'd probably spend a night here and there and asked if it would be an issue. They said no as long as we weren't loud.

That Thanksgiving, we had my family over. At the time it was my mom and dad, my little sister and my older sister, her husband and two small kids. We gave our landlord the heads up that they'd be spending the night but would go home later that Friday. They said ok.

Fast forward to that Sunday when they got home from being at their son's house. They asked if they could come up to talk to us, we said sure. They came up, got into our faces about how horrible we are, how it was all our fault because she couldn't sleep thinking we were destroying their house or we caused a fire and all died.

The 'talk' got so bad that after being asked to leave several times, we finally had to threaten to call the cops.

funhappymom
by Marie on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM

The same landlords gave us a big issue when we gave them notice about moving.

We gave them more than enough notice, spent a month moving out. About 2 weeks prior to our last day on the lease, I stopped by the house to find out they had been in our apt without our knowing and without it being an emergency. The guy got into my face and was nasty, she came to the door and started in about how we still had stuff in there and they wanted to paint and do other stuff before the new person moved in and they couldn't.

I did call the cops on them then. They were told to stay out of our apt without our permission.

Handing them the keys the day we were done with the apt was the best feeling ever.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I rented a room in a couple's basement for a couple months while in college. They told me that I'd be able to use their kitchen since the "apartment" I was renting didn't have one. The one (and only) time I used it I brought my own dishes up and basically just used the stove. The wife came home and didn't say anything but a day or two later they installed a door between the basement and the rest of the house. I moved out shortly after that. I knew I still owed them money so I kept sending them what I could but after a couple months I sent a letter asking for a bill saying what I'd paid and what I still owed. I never heard back from them so I figured that was the end of it. Nope I found out a couple years later that they put it on my credit that I still owed them $700!

funhappymom
by Marie on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Oh no, that's terrible.

Quoting trfgirl56701:

I rented a room in a couple's basement for a couple months while in college. They told me that I'd be able to use their kitchen since the "apartment" I was renting didn't have one. The one (and only) time I used it I brought my own dishes up and basically just used the stove. The wife came home and didn't say anything but a day or two later they installed a door between the basement and the rest of the house. I moved out shortly after that. I knew I still owed them money so I kept sending them what I could but after a couple months I sent a letter asking for a bill saying what I'd paid and what I still owed. I never heard back from them so I figured that was the end of it. Nope I found out a couple years later that they put it on my credit that I still owed them $700!

christaberk
by Christa on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Nope. As far as I know they have been pretty normal. But we only rented from a couple one time for about a year and a half.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I just read that article a little while ago. I don't have a crazy landlord but he's neglectful, rude, and does nothing in the house. After moving in I found out the house has a huge mice problem and the landlord knowing this put I was responsible for extermination in my lease (unfortunately I can't afford to move).  He constantly shows up without calling first to let us know he's stopping by.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM

When I was a teen, we lived in a rented house the landlord was flipping nuts. One time I was opening the front door to go in and he came climbing out of the basement window, not sure what he was doing or how long he was in the house but I refused to be in the house if no one else was home. He turned off the water, tried to turn off the electric saying that we had moved out and tried to pick fights with my brother. It all stemmed from him crushing on my mom and she wasn't going to give any up to him. We ended up moving in with my aunt until we could find another place to live.

momof2ex1
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Nothing crazy like that but she did do some things that drove us nuts. And we didn't want to piss her off so we never said anything. When we signed the lease she was in the middle of doing a lot of upgrades. We were desperate to get out of our apartment and in to a home so we agreed she would still be completing some of the upgrades after move in. One of the upgrades was landscaping and yard maintenance like new sod and a sprinkler system. So she was at our house nearly every single weekend. Then she would just stop by to check on the grass. That drove me nuts. She has owned the house for 30 years and all the neighbors are original. So she would stop by and chat with them for hours. Park in front or our house and stand out in the street talking to the neighbors. She's a doctor so the neighbors think she just hung the moon. She is a great land lord. Fixed things when needed immediately and really cared about the house. But she hovered. I felt trapped. I felt like I couldn't just live and it was a constant reminder, not your home!! It's mine and don't forget it. Sure the house isn't ours but the home is what we make it. And you are interfering with my serenity. She backed off after the first year but I really thought I was going to lose it there for a while.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM
I absolutely HATE that!! It is just the worst feeling. You can't even live without worrying about what you might do wrong or what they might 'see'. I'm terrified my house is going to look lived in or something lol

Quoting cjsmom1:

I just read that article a little while ago. I don't have a crazy landlord but he's neglectful, rude, and does nothing in the house. After moving in I found out the house has a huge mice problem and the landlord knowing this put I was responsible for extermination in my lease (unfortunately I can't afford to move).  He constantly shows up without calling first to let us know he's stopping by.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marz31
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Thank goodness no. I read that story yesterday and was just in shock that the people didn't move out immediately. I mean, I know a good apartment is hard to find, but geez, I don't want to live somewhere where all that was going on. What horrible people who did it too, there's a special place for them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)