Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Gossip & rumor mills at work

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM
  • 9 Replies
How do you deal with negative rumors about you at work? Ignore it? Confront it?

I've been working for this company for 3 years and over the last 2 I've lost 70 pounds. It's a lot of weight, but it was over time & done the healthy way. Through exercise & healthy eating only. There are several people that have confronted me about my supposedly being anorexic.

To those that have confronted me I respectfully informed them that I eat plenty and along with my physically demanding job that requires being extremely active 5 days a week (I'm a warehouse manager) I work out a lot as well. They don't hide the fact that they believe there's more to it, asking what pills or supplements I'm taking. When I respond that I don't take anything and don't even drink caffeinated beverages they dismiss me with comments along the lines of, "yeah right."

To those who haven't confronted me, I haven't bothered to approach them. However I feel as if it's getting out of hand. One of my bosses has pulled me aside demanding that I share whatever I'm taking to lose weight. When I told her I didn't take anything she huffed and puffed away. Another bosses last words to me on my way out was "have a good evening, please eat something."

Should I say something to these people? Or let it go? I was proud of my weight loss, and of being a healthy example for my son. However, now I feel partly ashamed and embarrassed though I know I shouldn't.
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
littleangie
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Congratulation on the weight loss!  You must work with some jealous people.  It takes discipline and dedication to do what you did.  Instead of making assumptions, they should be happy for you.  If it really bothers you, say something.  If it doesn't, ignore it.  It will eventually fizzle out and people like that will find something else to gossip about. 

Kelsey89
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:38 AM

I would confront them.

BabyRuca
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM
How would you approach them? I feel like if they say something to me I have the opening to defend myself, but most people just whisper and mumble thinking I can't hear them I guess. Those are the ones I haven't responded to.

Quoting Kelsey89:

I would confront them.

Kelsey89
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I can only tell you what I've done. I work at a bar and my boyfriend is my manager and his family owns it. So over the years people have made comments about me getting first selection. Not true at all. They work around my school schedule and time with our child. They do that to everyone. The talk happened more when we first started dating, but I have had people say things like new people since we've had our daughter.

I basically stopped the person I hear say something or the person someone told me was talking about me and just point blank said do you have something to say? 9 times out of 10 the person didn't say anything, but when they did I explained to them my boyfriend and his family treat me just like every other worker. If they had a problem they shouldn't be talking to others about it because they should have said something to me or my boyfriend from the start.

Quoting BabyRuca:

How would you approach them? I feel like if they say something to me I have the opening to defend myself, but most people just whisper and mumble thinking I can't hear them I guess. Those are the ones I haven't responded to.

Quoting Kelsey89:

I would confront them.

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I wouldn't address is with my coworkers.  Conflict in a work environment doesn't look good on you, even if you're not the one that is causing it. Eventually it will die down.  They will find something is to gossip about.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I would actually address it with HR and let them know whats been going and and thats its bothering you. Don't ask them to do anything, but make sure its on record. Otherwise, just do what you've been doing and address it when people ask. I wouldn't push it without someone asking because it does put you in a weaker position. Actually, when someone asks, you could offer to give them some tips if they are interested. Also, if you go to a gym, I've found inviting people to go with me to work out usually shuts them up pretty fast because they don't actually want to do the work :)

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yes, and I had an interesting comment yesterday. So, the entire time I was pregnant, my co workers saw me go to workout during lunch almost every day. Well, because of that, 4 weeks after birth and I've already shed almost all of my baby weight and I'm back down to a low BMI. One of my co-workers (female) made the comment that I was already so skinny. Then she (of course) said how "lucky" I was to drop the weight so quickly. Um, yeah. Those lunches 5 days a week spent lifting weights and on the treadmill were "luck". :) 

BabyRuca
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Congrats on your weight loss! I don't go to a gym, I just run around my neighborhood & do ct at home. I'm a warehouse manager so I take care of my weight lifting at work :) it's definitely been interesting at work, I just don't know how to approach it. But it's frustrating.

Quoting Nighttiger:

Oh yes, and I had an interesting comment yesterday. So, the entire time I was pregnant, my co workers saw me go to workout during lunch almost every day. Well, because of that, 4 weeks after birth and I've already shed almost all of my baby weight and I'm back down to a low BMI. One of my co-workers (female) made the comment that I was already so skinny. Then she (of course) said how "lucky" I was to drop the weight so quickly. Um, yeah. Those lunches 5 days a week spent lifting weights and on the treadmill were "luck". :) 

LIMom1105
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I'd let it go. This type of person will turn anything you say into more gossip, so it's not worth it IMO. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)