Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Asking for a raise..

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM
  • 5 Replies

I was basically thrown in the position of senior paralegal without the acknowledgment or pay, but with the responsibility.  I have been in the company for over 16 months and at my review I got a $.45.  That is not enough.  I am the only reason we have over 60% of our clients (the only Spanish speaking person in the firm) and therefore I do a lot of work.  I am salary and end up with a very poor hourly wage after I work over 50 hours each week ( I work on Saturdays, dont take my lunches, stay past 5 every single day, etc).  Basically I need a raise or I will be moving on because I refuse to continue to make the company so much money and I don't get paid what I deserve.. On the other hand, I love this company, the flexibility they offer, the benefits, they are amazing.  It is VERY family oriented to the point where they remind us at staff meetings the importance of taking time to attend our children' school activities and caring for our loved ones when sick.  When it snows and it is not safe to get to work they tell us to not even attempt it and stay home.  It is honestly a lovely firm and this is the FIRST place I can say that I LOVE working at.  However, I am determined to get the money I deserve.. How should I go about this.. What should I say.  FYI I do not want to give an ultimatum. 

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Can you research comparable positions for salary averages, then use that information when approaching a raise- shoot for close to the average salary for the job you perform (not your title, but the job that matches your reponsibilities).  

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Research comparable positions and salary averages for those positions and if you can also for you area.  Make a list of everything you do...all your responsbilities and accomplishments and present it to them, along with your findings concerning salary averages. 

Marz31
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

45 cents an hour for a paralegal isn't much at all. WOWSERS! yeah, I'd go to salaries dot com or other similar sites and see what similar positions make, and see how your pay adds up. a good employer will do a market analysis for all employees on a regular basis to make sure they aren't under or severely overpaying employees. You have to stay competitive or employees will flee. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Write up a list of duties you perform.  Take that in to your boss and explain that you love working for the company but feel you are being undervalued.  Be prepared if they tell you there is no more money in the budget for a raise.  If that is the case (due to this economy), see if you can structure a raise over time beginning with the next fiscal year (new budgets).

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

This. Make sure you have a detailed list of all your accomplishments and what you add to the company. Focus on your value to the company and what you have brought to the table...not the hours you put in (because salaried typically comes with some expectation of extra hours). Good luck!

Quoting deccaf:

Write up a list of duties you perform.  Take that in to your boss and explain that you love working for the company but feel you are being undervalued.  Be prepared if they tell you there is no more money in the budget for a raise.  If that is the case (due to this economy), see if you can structure a raise over time beginning with the next fiscal year (new budgets).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)