Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Ignoring style for function......

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 14 Replies
We need living room chairs, badly! We furnished it beautifully and had two $600 chairs that broke in a month which really angered me, because $1200 is not pennies in my limited decorating budget. Anyway we returned and got our money back but it was a big fiasco, and well for the past 8 months we have only had our couch in the living room, lol.

Well, I really need to buy some chairs, and sadly, I am contemplating a lazy boy recliner!! They are so comfy, I bought one with my first DS and it was the BEST thing I bought for caring for a new baby, we still use it to this day to read to the boys. Well, with the new baby coming, it would be nice to have another rocker to sleep and relax in, and nurse baby, but I admit, they are pretty damn ugly!! Idk, I am really torn, over style vs. function in this instance. With more & more play dates and moms coming over, I feel like maybe I should stick with something that looks nicer, since our open floor plan allows people to see our living room immediately as the walk into our house.
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thebailiffs
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I would look at Macy's we got a leather recliner that matches a sectional. You could start with the recliner and add sections as you can afford it. 

I am not sure where you are needing this seatin I also know Ikea has LOTS of chairs of all different types. 

We need dinning room chairs, ours are cheap and are falling apart. 

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM
They have Queen Anne styles. It's hard to furnish for kids durability and style. We have a formal living room for grown UPS to congregate, and the the more relaxed family style livinng room. in the second, I have to recover or replace every few yrs.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Thanks for the idea.

We have an awesome new couch; It is extra long and seats 6-8 fairly easy, so we just need chairs paired opposite across the room for balance & conversation reasons. It's fairly traditional style with a few eclectic pieces in my house. completely open floor plan though, which is the one thing that makes furnishing a bit harder.

Quoting thebailiffs:

I would look at Macy's we got a leather recliner that matches a sectional. You could start with the recliner and add sections as you can afford it. 

I am not sure where you are needing this seatin I also know Ikea has LOTS of chairs of all different types. 

We need dinning room chairs, ours are cheap and are falling apart. 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
That is nice; i dream of having two living areas when we get the basement finished (at the rate we are going, in like 25 years, and we no longer need it, haha)

but with one, the area has to multi-task. The couch, storage ottomans, and throw pillow seating for the kids works well so far. I just need to finish it!

Whatever I buy, will be leather, though for durability reasons, I am as a whole not a leather fan, it seems cold and impersonal to me but it holds up better than fabric. And I bought the couch in fabric, so it could balance the look.

Quoting calsmom62:

They have Queen Anne styles. It's hard to furnish for kids durability and style. We have a formal living room for grown UPS to congregate, and the the more relaxed family style livinng room. in the second, I have to recover or replace every few yrs.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM
We have leather , orientals and dark woods , in the grown up living room ...it looms warm, but in an old fashioned library way. I went for a cape cod / seashore/lighthouse look in the family living room, it opens into the kitchen which is similarly themed. I figured white and blue/grey would be light and airy and easy to replace fabrics when needed.
HilbillyMamaof3
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Do you have a Lazy Boy store near you? I was a little shocked with the different styles they had. A lot of the recliners, I would have never known what they were had the salesman not shown me.

We have a flexsteel living room suite, as far as comfort and durability goes it's tops. But I don't know about style. My decorating skills are a little lacking to say the least.
HilbillyMamaof3
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I love that look, but it always ends up horrible when I try it. I laugh that when the kids move out I'm hiring an interior decorator.

Went for that in the main bathroom, it now is smurf blue with flip flip decor- bright pinks and greens, lol! I gave up after painting three times and left it how it was. The kids love it, I just apologize when we have guest. It looks like something from a cheap, themed hotel room *headshaking*

Quoting calsmom62:

We have leather , orientals and dark woods , in the grown up living room ...it looms warm, but in an old fashioned library way. I went for a cape cod / seashore/lighthouse look in the family living room, it opens into the kitchen which is similarly themed. I figured white and blue/grey would be light and airy and easy to replace fabrics when needed.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I loved my recliner when I was preggo and when DD was little! It was kind of ugly but it was so comfortable!

Marz31
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

you can get so many different fabrics on the La-z boys, we have a recliner that I used for when DD was a baby, it matches the couch fabric we got about a year before and we LOVE it! it's just boring plain, but you could get patterned or a lovely color that would complement what you already have, and really, they aren't the ugly pleather things you see in the cheap store ads, the one we have is fairly sleek looking, and you can get rocker, recliner, glider, swivel, whatever options you might want. they aren't cheap tho, altho they might have a sale on a pair, we only got one.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know. I appreciate the style and prettiness of nice furniture, especially if I think someone other than family will be in my house. BUT....with a baby - I'd say forget it all! And get a rocker/recliner whatever is comfortable for you with the baby. The pp's are right though - there are some really cute and stylish rockers and recliners out there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)