Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

If money wasn't an issue...

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: If money wasn't an issue, would you be a SAHM?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 31

View Results

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Nope. I'd explore volunteer opportunities and have a few hobbies (refinishing furniture is one of my favs). I'm not sahm material. Lol. I love my kids but I suck at being at home with them all the time.
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Money is not the reason I work. With a few lifestyle modifications, we could live just fine off DH's income. I work because I go crazy at home - with or without the kids. I have to have something to do that makes me feel productive outside of DH and the kids.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Money is not the reason I work. With a few lifestyle modifications, we could live just fine off DH's income. I work because I go crazy at home - with or without the kids. I have to have something to do that makes me feel productive outside of DH and the kids.

I feel the same way.  In fact, I feel like I'm a better mother by working outside of the home.  I know some SAHMs make this their identity but I cannot. 

If I didn't have to work, I would probably put time into volunteering or running a small non-profit organization or something like that to keep myself busy.

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd go crazy no working at all.  If money wasn't an issue I'd volunteer, work part-time and/or try running a small business from home.

arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I'd keep my part-time teaching load but not teach every semester. I'd probably start some research writing projects, too.
Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:16 PM

no, I couldn't do it. I probably wouldn't work something as structured as I do now, maybe more fun or explore something that I LOVE rather than something I just happen to be good at. 

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly? Probably. I do work for the money & if I didn't have to, I believe I wouldn't work. That doesn't mean I'd sit on my butt all day, but I would do things for the joy of doing them - not for a paycheck.

One dream DH & I have is to live on a lake in the woods & run a small resort w/private cabins, etc. . I'd totally do that if I could.
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:56 PM

No.  I enjoy working, if money wasn't an issue I would be more likely to to own a small business or something like that that was more flexible.

punkinsmom0106
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM

No.  I'm a MUCH better mother when I have time away from my kids.  I've been a SAHM, it was too hard for me :(  Sad to admit, but I appreciate my children more this way.  I actually get breaks at work, plus I only work 20 hours/week...just enough to stay sane lol

christyg
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Without a doubt! I was a SAHM for 13 years, and had to go back to work as soon as my youngest was finally in school. I feel like I earned at least ONE year of SAHM status and all the kids in school. I can only imagine how much I would get done/organized/cleaned. I dream of the day that I can quit working.

Being a SAHM does not mean having nothing to do. I think volunteering still fits under the category because its not earning an income. I would love to spend two mornings a week in some sort of a volunteer role. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)