Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Do you think all working Americans should get some paid sick leave?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM
  • 53 Replies

The AFL-CIO is looking for women to align with the cause of paid sick leave for working Americans. Working moms often have to choose between getting by and getting themselves or their sick child better.  This isn’t just about your health, it’s about everybody’s health. 

Here are some facts about paid sick leave in the U.S.A.

• Two-fifths of private sector and 81% of low-wage workers don't have a single paid sick day.
  • Parents without paid sick leave are 2x as likely to send a child to school sick 
  • Workers without paid sick leave are often compelled to work sick, even if they are exposing customers and co-workers.
  • 75% of adults support a policy giving employees a minimum number of sick days.
  • Seven states have passed a preemptive law preventing paid sick leave legislation. They are Florida, Arizona, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kansas and Wisconsin.
  • While a federal law on paid sick leave is stalled and unlikely to pass anytime soon, there have been some success in getting mandates passed on the state and local levels in cities such as New York, Seattle and San Francisco

Has having or not having paid sick leave ever effected you and/or your family personally? We welcome you to join the conversation.

If you support the efforts towards paid sick leave sign the pledge here.

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rugratsmommy4

DH doesn't get sick days.  He was told his personal days are his sick days.  We have 3 kids and I myself have health issues so when one is sick we all get sick and DH still has to go to work.  It doesn't matter if were all racing for the bathroom at once he still has to go because his employer refuses to allow sick days.  If he shows up to work sicker then a dog, they tell him to get a dr not and then give him a point a day he has to be off from it.  Which then hurts us more.

KW1280
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM
6 moms liked this
Yes because the employees will do a better job, there will be a low turnover rate and productivity will go up. If employees feel that their employers care then there will be loyalty to that company.
janessa27
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM
3 moms liked this

I strongly believe that all working Americans should be granted sick leave. Unexpected things happen- ex: your child goes to sleep fine, only to wake up a few hours later throwing up everywhere.......for the rest of the night. You can't send them to daycare or school the next day so what are you supposed to do? When this happened to me- I had to take an occurrence from my work and they automatically take your Paid Time Off. I did not mind that they took my PTO but I was upset that I received an absence for taking care of my sick child when I had no other options and could not have "pre planned" this.

mereinhart28
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely I think that they should get some sort of sick leave. Unexpected things can happen all the time, and sometimes there just isn't any other option than to call in "sick". 

JanuaryBaby06
3 moms liked this

I live in Philadelphia, where a bill that would have mandated paid sick leave has been repeatedly shot down by the mayor as something that he believes that we as a city just simply can't afford. I have been lucky, my last job, which was at a nursing home that i worked at for 5 years,  was very gracious with sick time and that my employer understood the woes of the working mother, but a friend of mine, fellow mom at my son's school, has had to regrettably send her child to school because she is unable to take time off. A parent should not have to choose between paying her bills & her child's health and well-being, but unfortunitey this is a decision that mothers, well parents in general, are forced to make. This to me is absolutely absurd that this is not a federal mandate. How is it okay for our lawmakers, who's sole job is to represent the people, to hear the struggles of those working sick, to stall a bill that would only help alleviate the struggle itself? I do not believe that our politicians should get paid sick leave until the majority of people who are governed under them are also granted the same privilege, they need to face the same struggles in order to better understand those that they repersent. We need to stop putting the needs of corporations and buinesses above the needs of the people.

LexsMami
3 moms liked this

I strongly believe in paid sick leave for all Americans, but especially working parents. As a single mother living in Tennessee (a right to work state), I have had to go to work while very ill and send my son to school very ill all for the sake of not losing my job. I have also had to miss many days because I have 3 chronic illnesses that cause me to be in a near-paralyzed condition and I am unable to move for hours at a time. When you live paycheck to paycheck like I and many other Americans do, it can cause serious financial problems to miss any work and of course, lose your job. If we had legislation in place to protect the workers from losing pay and/or losing their jobs due to illness, I believe that companies would see higher profits, increased productivity, higher morale, and less spread of preventable disease and malaise. 

Necie72
4 moms liked this

Before I became a parent, having sick leave wasn't so important.  I remember having a minimum wage job, working in an office and if I had to miss a day I did, but it didn't hurt too much.  I don't recall ever really missing work though either when I was minimum wage.  I'm generally very healthy.  I probably have gone to work sick though and just don't remember.  I do however remember a time that I went to work sick (a salary job with sick leave), but left early for the doctor.  My doctor actually wrote me a note to keep me out of work for a week due to a major sinus infection.  I was happy that it was nothing viral!  If I had been working a job that didn't have sick leave, I would have been screwed!  I was living on my own in Long Island, NY and there's no way I would have been able to afford that time off, unpaid.

Things were a lot different once I became a parent.  I was not only worrying about my health, but the health of my child.  Having a toddler in daycare, you WILL have days that you need to call in sick because they caught something from another child and the daycare won't allow them to come back until they are symptom free for 24 hours.  There were at least two days that I recall having to leave work early (thankfully, I was part-time) to pick my daughter up and I was told that she couldn't come back the next day because she had to be symptom free for 24 hours.

I remember being down to the wire one year because I had an unplanned absence due to weather and at least two due to my daughter's health.  I was working with PTO time, but after so many "unplanned" absesnces, you can be penalized.  That is not fair for someone who cannot predict a child or themselves becoming ill.

So, yes, I think all working Americans should get some paid sick leave.  It is beneficial to the employee, the company and any customers/clients that deal with the company.

If a person knows they have to go to work sick, they aren't going to be productive and they will risk getting others sick.  The same goes for a parent who has to make a sick child go to school.  That child isn't going to be able to focus and will get other kids sick.

JaeCelestina
1 mom liked this
I believe every employee has the right to sick time. I am from Massachusetts. Here sick time is generally given to most full time employees the issues we have here is that most employers will hire someone as part-time (35Hrs) to avoid having to give this type of benefits.
I have personally missed lots of work due to my children or myself being sick. But what is even worst then having to survive with a smaller paycheck are those times that pressure is put on your job security because of an illness. Having to choose between going to work sick or possibly losing that job to get better is absurd. In this economy employees are extremely expendable, because there will alway be 100 ppl lined up for that same position.
I remember a few instances that I can tell you about. I once worked for a big chain of toy stores and the flu was going around the staff . I started my shift with very little energy but over all I was ok. Come the end of my shift I was asked to stay for a double because so many others had called out for the afternoon. I tell the supervisor I wasn't feeling well and could only stay until he could call more ppl in. Going on 8-9 hrs into the day now all the symptoms converged on me at once. I now had cold sweats body pain and diarrhea. I go back to the office only to get the news that no one was found to replace me. I explained What I was going thru and wss told "come on your a tough cookie". Furious I returned to my register. For the next hour I left customers standing in line to make several dashes to the restroom. Totally embarrassing. Half was thru my "mandatory" second shift I vomit right at my register. Several customers run to get my boss. He comes over and said "oh you really are sick, thought you didn't want to stay. Well clean up this mess and I guess you can go. " I was furious. I handed him my name tag and told him he would not see me again. Later that week the store manager apologized to me and explained that the supervisor was just going his job trying to manage the store with so many call outs but that's does nothing for me. I told him this all started because all of us (as employees) fear losing our only income so we put the whole staff at risk by coming in sick. Had those first couple ppl stayed home and gotton better we would probably not had to deal with this entire incident.
Mommabearbergh
1 mom liked this

Having paid sick leave made it so that I can stay on top of my bills.I don't make a whole lot of money after paying for  health insurance to miss a hundred dollars messes up the budget for a month. It is one of the reasons I wouldn't leave the current job I have because to find a job that has paid sick time is rare especially in this economy. I think  companies need to realize that a lot of people have people outside of their job that they are responsible for and sending them to  school sick isn't good for other children or the sick child.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM
I think every company should offer a few sick days. It's not fair to expect someone to go to work sick or penalize them for not coming in. I have to use my pto when I need off, but I'm so grateful to have that. There are so many people who get no paid time off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)