Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for ideas (PIOG)

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM
  • 5 Replies

I'm hoping to start a little family summer book club for the summer.  Pick a book - read it together - discuss, do related activities/research/etc.  Something fun that keeps everyone engaged and learning about interesting stuff.

The problem is the big age difference - with two birthdays coming up my kiddos will be 7, 9, 14 for the rest of the summer.

Any ideas on types or titles of books or series that would appeal to everyone?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM

How about the Percy Jackson series?  I've also heard good things about Holes by Louis Sachar - it fits your kids' age range I believe.

the3Rs
by Group Admin on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Ooo...Percy Jackson series IS good idea!  I don't know Holes, I'll have to google it.  Thanks! :)

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

How about the Percy Jackson series?  I've also heard good things about Holes by Louis Sachar - it fits your kids' age range I believe.

deccaf
by Group Admin on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Narnia?  A little for everyone.  Or JRR Tolkien

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I believe Holes is new and it teaches you a life lesson.

Quoting the3Rs:

Ooo...Percy Jackson series IS good idea!  I don't know Holes, I'll have to google it.  Thanks! :)

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

christyg
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I was going to suggest "Holes" too. Its a pretty easy read and its a good story. It has really short chapters and alternates between two story lines a lot.

Anything by Roald Dahl would be a good choice. "Matilda" is one of my favorites. 

Beverly Clearly books would be great for the younger kids, but might be too easy for the older one. She writes the Ramon Quimby books, but she has other titles too. My boys liked "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" when they were younger. 

I also agree with PP about the Percy Jackson series. They are really good!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)