Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Why are all mommy groups....

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 14 Replies

geared towards stay-at-home moms?? I'm having a really tough time meeting other moms. None of my friends have babies and it would be great to find another couple for my husband and I to hang out with and set up playdates, but all of the 'mommy and me' groups meet during the day and are more focused on moms that don't work. Anyone else find this the case?? It's frustrating:(

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marz31
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it a lot. meeting up during the day and whatnot. I do have a friend who is a member of a MOPS group that meets in the evenings, but it's a bit too religious for my tastes, but they do exist. altho I think a lot of the moms are SAHMs, they just picked an evening time instead of during the day. Oh and they rarely include hubbies. My husband was out of work for a year and we had to pull DD from daycare because we just couldn't afford it and he had a really hard time finding things to do with her that were friendly enough for him to participate. he's a friendly guy, but he's big so many people don't know he's a big teddy bear. I noticed there were more and more SAHD groups popping up, but again, SAH. but totally frustrating. I'd love to be in a playgroup, but I guess I'd want it to be working moms, because then I wouldn't miss out on all the fun things the SAHMs in the group did. 

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

It is very frustrating.  I just started out making friends with families from their daycare.  Now our friends consist of families that we have met through their sports.  There are about 6-7 families that we hang out....A LOT of kids and great friends.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been frustrated at that.  I just put her in mommy and me classes.  This way she get interaction and fun with mommy, and mommy gets adult conversation while the kids are busy.

irisfalls
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Glad it's not just me that noticed! I'm going to have to try the 'mommy and me' classes. Even the library activities are during the day:( and not on weekends...ugh...

irisfalls
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Very frustrating...dad's need other dad's too! My husband is having a tough time finding ANY daddy groups. Luckily he has a few things he belongs to outside of work that he does, but all of those guys are older or have grown children. There was a group that I looked into, but like you, it was a bit too religious based for my taste...I'm sure it was great, but I shyed away from it.

Quoting Marz31:

I find it a lot. meeting up during the day and whatnot. I do have a friend who is a member of a MOPS group that meets in the evenings, but it's a bit too religious for my tastes, but they do exist. altho I think a lot of the moms are SAHMs, they just picked an evening time instead of during the day. Oh and they rarely include hubbies. My husband was out of work for a year and we had to pull DD from daycare because we just couldn't afford it and he had a really hard time finding things to do with her that were friendly enough for him to participate. he's a friendly guy, but he's big so many people don't know he's a big teddy bear. I noticed there were more and more SAHD groups popping up, but again, SAH. but totally frustrating. I'd love to be in a playgroup, but I guess I'd want it to be working moms, because then I wouldn't miss out on all the fun things the SAHMs in the group did. 

christyg
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Because SAHMs go crazy without adult interaction, and they only way they can get together is with the kids. They don't mean to not include you. Maybe you should start one in your city?

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Because too many working moms (including me) are so busy with careers and kids, there is no extra time :(

But keep looking, I find as kids start extra-curricular activities there is a much wider & diverse group of parents to meet.
Marz31
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Yeah, we were late to have our daughter, DH turned 41 on Saturday, so most other guys his age have teenagers, just not the same, so much harder to connect. We failed in joining into groups that start at birth, I have a friend who works for one of the local orgs that starts groups then, but she never really mentioned it when my daughter was born (her oldest is exactly a year older than DD), but once they hit a certain age, they won't let you join the group anymore. 

Quoting irisfalls:

Very frustrating...dad's need other dad's too! My husband is having a tough time finding ANY daddy groups. Luckily he has a few things he belongs to outside of work that he does, but all of those guys are older or have grown children. There was a group that I looked into, but like you, it was a bit too religious based for my taste...I'm sure it was great, but I shyed away from it.

Quoting Marz31:

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
That is actually how I found cafemom. It came up for a night-evening playgroup option in my area. I made a couple new friends that way who work.

But yes, I feel the same way. It is like some assumption that working moms dont want to meet real moms with kids too! Thankfully we have a good core group and have started reaching out to neighbors more with kids near our age. I am also not above putting notes in kids cubbies at daycare!!!
HotMama330
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I have found this to be the case.  That's why I haven't joined any.  I've found it hard to connect with strictly stay at home moms on here so I figured it would be the same in person.

I'm looking for friends who are loyal, intelligent, kind and who love to chat.  If this is you, contact me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN