Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Book Keeping.-Suuuuper Stressed Right Now- =/

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 10 Replies

I'm a secretary for a church, and we have to do Financial Budgets at the end of every month. I swear I am the world's most awful book keeper. haha. I get SOOOO stressed trying to make sure every penny matches up, and when it doesn't, I get frustrated with myself, and feel like throwing all of my papers everywhere. So now I'm on CM, trying not think about where I went wrong this time. I usually find where the mistake is, but it's the process of finding it that sucks so bad. I always feel like a complete failure until I find what went wrong, then usually feel super dumb that I didn't catch it before and wasted all that time being mad at myself.

How do I stop stressing so much over it?!

Ugh. :(

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to be a Budget Analyst for a multi-national corporation.  I HATED end of the month, quarters and yearly closes!  I used to have nightmares.  Seriously, take a step away from the spreadsheets and all the numbers.  We sometimes are looking at them so long, so hard that we don't really SEE anything. 

jeaa1208
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I hate it too. I hate book keeping period. You're right, after awhile of looking at the same thing, all the numbers just jumble together, and don't even make sense anymore. I had to take a break, I swear my brain feels like it's going to explode. These should have been done yesterday, and they still aren't. I just can't focus.

banging head into wall      going crazy

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

It's hard to focus when you are frustrated. 

The company I used to work for was Japanese so they had a very strict work ethic.  One of the biggest things I learned there though was that you HAVE to step away and take breaks throughout the day - nothing gets accomplished when you are frustrated and tired of looking at the same thing. 

I'm in finance and it's a very dry field and I tolerate it because I step away frequently enough.  If I can't find something right away, I put it away and revist in an hour or so and lo and behold it's right there in front of me!  After every budget or close, I would also give myself a nice reward :)

Quoting jeaa1208:

I hate it too. I hate book keeping period. You're right, after awhile of looking at the same thing, all the numbers just jumble together, and don't even make sense anymore. I had to take a break, I swear my brain feels like it's going to explode. These should have been done yesterday, and they still aren't. I just can't focus.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh no! I am sorry. I could not imagine, I am not a accounting kind of gal at all!
jeaa1208
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Definitely hard to focus. That sounds like a good idea.  What kind of reward?

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

The company I used to work for was Japanese so they had a very strict work ethic.  One of the biggest things I learned there though was that you HAVE to step away and take breaks throughout the day - nothing gets accomplished when you are frustrated and tired of looking at the same thing. 

I'm in finance and it's a very dry field and I tolerate it because I step away frequently enough.  If I can't find something right away, I put it away and revist in an hour or so and lo and behold it's right there in front of me!  After every budget or close, I would also give myself a nice reward :)

Quoting jeaa1208:

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM

It'll be something like a mani/pedi or something like a movie by myself.  It's really something small that I can do by myself that is mindless and is pretty much quiet time.

Quoting jeaa1208:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting jeaa1208:

jeaa1208
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Me either!! Just part of the job. And only once monthly, 4 times quarterly, and the big shabang stress time yearly.

Quoting Marti123:

Oh no! I am sorry. I could not imagine, I am not a accounting kind of gal at all!

jeaa1208
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I seriously need to make a mani/pedi a monthly thing at least. I hardly ever have 'just me time', so it'd be nice just to have no worries for like an hour.

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

It'll be something like a mani/pedi or something like a movie by myself.  It's really something small that I can do by myself that is mindless and is pretty much quiet time.

Quoting jeaa1208:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting jeaa1208:

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Schedule it in right after your month close.  It's a good way to just de-stress for an hour and let go of the month end process.  I always hated closes! 

Quoting jeaa1208:

I seriously need to make a mani/pedi a monthly thing at least. I hardly ever have 'just me time', so it'd be nice just to have no worries for like an hour.

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting jeaa1208:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting jeaa1208:

jeaa1208
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Ugh me too! That sounds like a wonderful idea though. Perfect for de-stressing. Thank you! :)

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Schedule it in right after your month close.  It's a good way to just de-stress for an hour and let go of the month end process.  I always hated closes! 

Quoting jeaa1208:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting jeaa1208:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting jeaa1208:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)