Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Can I accept a job with vague responsibilities?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi there, I'm new to this forum so hello all working moms!  I currently have a good job at good company, but recently found a position at this same company that would be a big promotion in pay.  I felt that I met the qualifications and applied for the job.  However, other than the job title being similar to my current position, the job description and role that was offered at the application process was very vague.  I got the interview, so I hoped that I would be able to get more information about the roles and responsibilites during the interview.  Unfortunately, though I asked many questions, I was not at all clearer about what my job role would be other than to supervise 3 people and it is a newly created position.  I won't find out until next week if I am offered the position or not, but I'm not sure I should accept it.  I am concerned since this is a new position with not clearly defined roles that I may not succeed.  Anyone out there had a similar experience?

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Replies (11-14):
Marz31
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I've taken quite a few positions similar to this (actually, most of my jobs have been like this) where there was a need for another body and lots of tasks to do, but it wasn't 100% solid as to what all this position would actually BE doing. I've always found that I thrived in these situations and really was able to take the job and make it mine without having someone breathing over me saying "that's not how *I* Did it, so it must be wrong" and the like when I learned how to do something and then did my thing to make it work for me after a few months. So it's not necessarily a bad thing, and the pay might make up for any odd things that may come about. Good luck tho! hopefully you'll get the offer so you can at least ask more questions and make a decision you're pleased with.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Any news?
Meritangel
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Hi all,

Found out today, I didn't get the job.  Bummer.  Went with someone who had experience more in line with the current position.  I did received positive feedback on my interview though.  Thanks all for the advice.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Sorry to hear that.  Sounds like you did a great interview though.

Quoting Meritangel:

Hi all,

Found out today, I didn't get the job.  Bummer.  Went with someone who had experience more in line with the current position.  I did received positive feedback on my interview though.  Thanks all for the advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)