Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

career devlopment advice

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM
  • 15 Replies

So. I'm pretty new to this group (but have always been a working mom). I'm having issues with whether or not to attempt to get a new job.

I currently work for an internationally know non-profit org that's mission is to help individuals with developmental disabilities, mental health issues and crimina; histories prepare for find and retain employment. I work with the dd population and I love my job. It's too easy though, I have a realyl great crew of individuals and they really don't need much from me and the paperwork is a sinch. I've been in this job for close to 3 years and I am happy here. But, this is my first job out of college (I'm 24) and I am starting to feel sort of stuck. There's not much room for advancement here, and I am kind of the low man on the totem pole still because everyone else in the department has been employed for 5+ years so if they put in for a promotion, their experience would put them before me anyhow. And no supervisors are retiring any time soon as most are in their 40's.

But, I got an email about a job that I would LOVE to have. It's with the regional food bank and the job is to put together profiles for major "gifts" to the agency. Basically, to talk someone into giving their major gift and keeping them donating would be the job, to put it VERY simply. Everyone that I know, knows that I would much rather be on the corporate side than the direct care side. I've seen both good and bad agencies and I feel like that is something I want to do, on the good side of corporate of course. Seems like I've already made up my mind right?

So why am I so torn on even sending a resume in to get an interview?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Maybe you are torn because it's what you know.  It's hard to take a leap in a new direction.  If it's what you want, go for it!

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I say go for it! Can't hurt anything to send along your resume!

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM

You are probably torn because you are comfortable where you are now.  You know what to expect currently and this other position is something new.  I think we've all felt like that.  If you want it, then go ahead and send your resume.  It never hurts to do so.

LNLMommy
by Kelli on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Send your resume and go for it. I think you have established a pretty good track record by staying with one company for three years but you never want to stay at a job where you are unable to grow. If you want more-you got to seek more and go for it. What's the worse that could happen?

dbrown1989
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I think you're right. That and I got rejected from a job I really wanted. This job also would double my salary...I think I'm afraid that even if I did get an interview, they wouldn't think I would be worth the salary. I know I would be, but being young has worked against me in finding a job so many times.

Quoting deccaf:

Maybe you are torn because it's what you know.  It's hard to take a leap in a new direction.  If it's what you want, go for it!

dbrown1989
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM

This is true. It's not like it was job offer, but still. Last time I tried to branch out for a new job, I got plenty of interviews, and plenty of rejection letters that said "thanks for your time, but, we're persuing a candidate we feel is better qualified". It really discouraged me last time. I know I can do the job, I just think that other factors are working against me.

Quoting LNLMommy:

Send your resume and go for it. I think you have established a pretty good track record by staying with one company for three years but you never want to stay at a job where you are unable to grow. If you want more-you got to seek more and go for it. What's the worse that could happen?

LNLMommy
by Kelli on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I know the generic "dear john" letters are discouraging. I hate sending them and I hate receiving them. But now is a good time to start looking-when you have a stable job and while it may take a hit to your confidence, you still have income, kwim?

Quoting dbrown1989:

This is true. It's not like it was job offer, but still. Last time I tried to branch out for a new job, I got plenty of interviews, and plenty of rejection letters that said "thanks for your time, but, we're persuing a candidate we feel is better qualified". It really discouraged me last time. I know I can do the job, I just think that other factors are working against me.

Quoting LNLMommy:

dbrown1989
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Yeah, that could be it too. This other job is COMPLETELY different. I work go from working in Vocational Services to a foodbank. Same basic general idea to help out the community, but on two totally different ends of the spectrum.

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

You are probably torn because you are comfortable where you are now.  You know what to expect currently and this other position is something new.  I think we've all felt like that.  If you want it, then go ahead and send your resume.  It never hurts to do so.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM

The fear of the unknown is what has a tendency to hold us back.  It's okay if it's completely different - it interests you and it's a direction that you want to go in.  Sometimes you have to take that leap of faith.

I can tell you, I wouldn't have gotten into the industry I'm in if I didn't do that.  It's scary BECAUSE it's unknown and you don't know if you'll measure up, but you also won't gain anything if you just sit back and let the fear rule you. 

Quoting dbrown1989:

Yeah, that could be it too. This other job is COMPLETELY different. I work go from working in Vocational Services to a foodbank. Same basic general idea to help out the community, but on two totally different ends of the spectrum.

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

dbrown1989
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:01 PM

You are right. Off I go to perfect my resume! EEEEK!!!! (an excited EEEEK lol)

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

The fear of the unknown is what has a tendency to hold us back.  It's okay if it's completely different - it interests you and it's a direction that you want to go in.  Sometimes you have to take that leap of faith.

I can tell you, I wouldn't have gotten into the industry I'm in if I didn't do that.  It's scary BECAUSE it's unknown and you don't know if you'll measure up, but you also won't gain anything if you just sit back and let the fear rule you. 

Quoting dbrown1989:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)