Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Too. Much. Stuff.

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM
  • 17 Replies

I have large buckets assigned to each kid for their schoolwork and artwork through the years.  The problem is, the buckets are overflowing and I now also have 4 bag full.

I actually DID weed some out, and I know I can't keep everything, but sheesh!  Any ideas for better storage?

I've heard of scanning them in and throwing them away, but I just can't do that.

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

More buckets.  I don't know anything else.  I would probably keep it all so they have it when they are older.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

That's probably what I'll end up doing - but then the question is always - where to store all of these buckets.  :)

We still have the other 1/2 of the unfinished side of the basement to clean up - maybe one of 2 remaining storage shelves will work - though I'm fairly sure DH will fill it up with his workroom stuff.

Quoting deccaf:

More buckets.  I don't know anything else.  I would probably keep it all so they have it when they are older.

christaberk
by Christa on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM
We have the same problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marz31
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I'm no help. I've been told I'm a pack rat for keeping most of DD's art projects from preschool/daycare, but I don't care, I already have fun looking back at them and seeing her progress, altho I wish I'd kept things more organized. Oh well! they're in general age order.....filing boxes by year? 

Mamie_85
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

i have the same problem. but, i might get binders for every child for every year and keep my favorite stuff in page protectors in the binders.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I thought about that - and I also found a great idea of have a file folder box and either put 13 file folders (one each for K-12) or 10.5x15 folders for each grade and keeping them in the file box.

Two problems with this and the binder idea:

1. I have WAY more pieces of paper than what would comfortably fit (though I know I should weed a lot out)
  2. A lot of the things I have are much bigger (art work) than a box or binder.

Reason #2 is always where I end up getting stuck.  Unless I do the binder/box for schoolwork ONLY and keep each of the 3 buckets for large artwork only? 

That might work!!

Quoting Mamie_85:

i have the same problem. but, i might get binders for every child for every year and keep my favorite stuff in page protectors in the binders.

mickstinator
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM

i have scanned several of my son's artworks mainly because of the same problem - running out of space. i like having the scanned copies, but i haven't thrown away any of the pieces i scanned, either. 

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:03 PM

See, that's the thing.  Without throwing away the real deal i still have the storage issue.  :(

Quoting mickstinator:

i have scanned several of my son's artworks mainly because of the same problem - running out of space. i like having the scanned copies, but i haven't thrown away any of the pieces i scanned, either. 

mickstinator
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:08 PM

i definitely relate to that one. i got it easy with only 2 kiddoes, though. i don't feel so bad throwing away the majority of my younger son's stuff since it is obviously mostly done by a worker still.

Quoting the3Rs:

See, that's the thing.  Without throwing away the real deal i still have the storage issue.  :(

Quoting mickstinator:

maggie268
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM

What I am planning on doing (my next project lol) is to get a big 3 ring binder with those sheet protectors and do one per year.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN