Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Fighting burnout

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm a single mom in a high stress full time job as a parent advocate.  I work with the worst of the worst, drug addicts and mentally ill, deep poverty and hopelessness.  When I get home at the end of the day, I am so exhausted, mentally and physically, I find it hard to give my 5 year old son the love and attention he deserves.  

How do you ladies fight burnout from your demanding jobs?

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
thebailiffs
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for doing what you do. Everyone needs someone like you to fight for them. 

I do yoga/meditation to help me. If you can't find a good class, download a podcast and listen to it. Inlove the meditation part. 

Please remember you can't be your best if you don't take care of yourself. 

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I drink tea and stay up past my bedtime watching anime with DH.  Right now we are halfway through Gundam Seed.  Sometimes it is Star Trek, other times cartoons, whatever I can't watch when the girls are up.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM
*hugs* I am not much help, because although I love my life; I am so exhausted, physically & emotionally! I just tackle children rearing a task at a time lately.

The positive of age 5, I can watch soccer from the sideline, swim lessons, etc.... It's not quite as physically demanding as a 0-3 year age range.
xanadu96
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Yes! Thank you for all that you do!

My DS is nine with extra special needs but once he goes to bed at 7:30 I do whatever I want including housework. It's not as bad when I'm enjoying doing it, but I always read before I go to sleep.

Quoting thebailiffs:

Thanks for doing what you do. Everyone needs someone like you to fight for them. 

I do yoga/meditation to help me. If you can't find a good class, download a podcast and listen to it. Inlove the meditation part. 

Please remember you can't be your best if you don't take care of yourself. 

mickstinator
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM

self care. it's really hard to justify taking time for myself when it already feels like i'm trying to cram 30 hours of work into my day, but addressing my own need for peace and serenity makes me a better person in all aspects of my life. 

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I wish I could help but I'm fighting it myself! My job isn't high stress, but the work place is constantly full of drama and low morale and that exhausts me. then to go home and deal with a sometimes moody 13 year old, sometimes I just want to hide!

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I try to do something fun every week with ds

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:30 PM
I have been fighting burn out in a big way the past 6 months. What does your paid time off look like? If you have enough maybe even a day off a month would help recharge you a bit. That is something I have been able to do this year and it helps.

I also have worked to make my commute home a time to unwind and get ready for my duties at home. It has been hard because I have little patience for traffic but through positive self talk, I have convinced myself I just needed extra time to unwind. Some days I talk to a friend, others I blast the radio or drive in silence.

I also get up early to have a cup of coffee in silence from my favorite mug each weekday. I find that quiet time helpful in attacking my day.

Some days are easier than others for sure, but some days we all need tv zone out time. I will sit and cuddle watching cartoons which gives my kids (and me) snuggles after a long day. With practice I have found I can enjoy the after dinner playtime, as it allows me to focus on what I enjoy and not my exhaustion.

Best of luck! Take care of you!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN