Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Need some advice. *two new jobs*

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 7 Replies
So I applied at 3 or 4 places. I really needed a job quick so when the waitressing job called back and offered first, I accepted even though it wasn't the one I was hoping for. My first day is tomorrow.
However the job I REALLY wanted, that pays WAY better called, I had an interview, and today I'm auditioning for the job because its down to me and one other guy. So I will know by tomorrow night if I have the job.

If I do get it, my question is, how do I tell the waitressing job that I changed my mind and don't want it without being a jackass. I mean, I'm going to go to work tomorrow because I won't know if I have the other job yet and ill keep the waitressing job if the other falls through... I won't be able to do a two week notice either because the better job will need me to start full time by the 27th and I don't have an open enough schedule to do both.

So what do I do??
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
little.worthen
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM
The "other" job I mentioned is an assistant manager position at a bakery..
In case you wanted to know.
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM

of you get the better job, just let the waitressing job know that something better came up.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Exactly.  You were job hunting.  They can't assume you didn't put in multiple applications.  However, be as nice as possible.  If you need to look again, you want them to remember you were nice and did a good job whilie you were there. 

Quoting leahbeah143:

of you get the better job, just let the waitressing job know that something better came up.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Yup.   Ditto to the advice above.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I agree with everyone else. Just be honest with them.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I've accepted a job and before starting either had second thoughts or got a better offer and called back to tell them I wasn't taking it afterall. it works both ways. I doubt you're the first to do it at the restaurant. but it's nice to have a job while you're still looking. But yeah, just tell them the other job starts on the 27th (if you get it, FX!!!) and they won't have invested a lot of training time or anything, so they shouldn't be phased by it (they probably won't be HAPPY, but well, that's the nature of the business)

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I think the others gave great advice. Be honest and let them know you were offered a position some where else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN