Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

How long did you take for maternity leave?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 39 Replies

I plan on announcing my pregnancy at work within the next few weeks and I know one of the first questions will be how long I want to take off for maternity leave. At my company, we get 6 weeks paid but have the option of taking up to 1 year off.

How long have you taken off or are planning to take off for maternity leave?
Thanks in advance ladies!!!

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thebailiffs
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I did not take any...

pick left one job and did not find another for to years. We moved from on area to another so I was able to stay home until I got a call from the school district I worked for and they really needed me to work for them. Their old teacher had cancer and died so there was no one to work with the kids. 

Good luck

mickstinator
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM

i work for a very small company. fmla does not even apply to us because of our size. 

i took 3 1/2 unpaid weeks off for my first (only 3 weeks were left after my son was born). 

i took 7 weeks (2 paid with vacation/sick time that i saved up, 5 unpaid) with my second. 

GabbyGirlsMommy
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I took 8 weeks off. My company is small and we got no paid time off at all. I spent a long time saving up all my vacation so 4 weeks were paid and 4 weeks were not. That's all we could afford. =( I wish I could have taken longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I took off 7 weeks, about half of which was unpaid because I only had 3-4 weeks vacation saved up.

andrea96
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I took 6 weeks with my first and about 8 weeks with my second, all paid at 100%. With my first, I went back to work right before Christmas and I had to burn some vacation, so I probably didn't work a full week for at least 3-4 weeks after returning to work.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I took 6 weeks but 2 weeks of it was unpaid until short-term disability kicked in. My job wanted me to use my pto but I only had 1 hour left so that was no help.

Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I took three weeks and it was from all the time I saved up.not ready to go back but that is the way life goes.
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I had two of my kids in July (and I was a teacher at the time) so I had most of July and all of August.  I went back to work on the first day of school which was right after Labor Day.

With my October boy I worked until the day I gave birth and then took off until January.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I took 3.5 months, thanks to Washington State for adding 6 weeks to FMLA for maternity leave. We have a tiered sick/disability plan for maternity so I got paid out of that for 8 weeks, but it wasn't my full wages, and then they used up my PTO and thanks to the board adding an day to our Christmas Holiday, I had a tiny bit of my PTO left so I earned one more day of it and was able to not have to pay out of pocket for insurance for the last month I was out, but I got a VERY small check otherwise, I'm good with that, I'd banked a bit because I didn't expect to get paid anything after the about 9 weeks (8 plus about a week of PTO). 

I have to say it sickens me to see all you working moms who took less than 6 weeks :( what's WRONG with this country??? 

And OP, TAKE A YEAR! seriously, if I'd had that option, I would have jumped on it! Obviously it won't be paid or fully paid, but that would have been a big deal to me. I knew I'd have to come back eventually, but I'm so envious of my friends in Canada who get to take a year with some pay, that's just an amazing benefit!

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM

we get six weeks on short term disability, and you can use PTO to take more than that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)