Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Today (7/29) is...

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 8 Replies
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Lasagna Day

Celebrating Garfield’s favourite food, Lasagne Day champions the combination of minced meat and layered pasta. Add cheese, sauces, try vegetarian options and go wild!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

National Chicken Wing Day

National Chicken Wing Day is Monday, July 29th with the big celebration in Buffalo, New York, home of the Buffalo Wing, over the Labor Day Weekend. The festival never existed before 2001 but was inspired by the movie Osmosis Jones when Bill Murray was a chicken wing addict and wanted nothing more than to attend the National Wing Festival in Buffalo.

Once it was revealed that no such event existed, that’s when the Buffalo event was born. It is now one of the best in the country attracting more than 40,000 people over the Labor Day Weekend and going through 20 tons of wings. People from all 50 states attend as well as travelers from 34 different countries. It is in its 12th year and is

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Rain Day

Rain Day - Waynesburg's Claim to Fame

July 29th may be just another day to the rest of the world, but to the residents of Waynesburg, Pennsylvania, it has a special significance that is passed along from generation to generation.

It all started during the late 1800's at a drugstore located on High Street (the main street in town). An unknown local farmer remarked to William Allison, the pharmacist, that it always seems to rain on July 29th. This comment inspired Allison to keep an annual record of the rainfall on that day. William's brother, Albert, continued recording this mystical event; then, sometime during the 1920's, the record keeping was taken over by the late Bryon Daily.

Rain Day would have remained a local phenomenon if it hadn't been for the efforts of the late Waynesburg newsman John O'Hara. He began sending Rain Day stories to other newspapers in the 1930's. Today, newspapers, TV and radio stations from around the world flood the town of Waynesburg with calls every July 29th to learn if it has indeed rained.

For many years, the only observances of Rain Day were the annual hat bet between Bryon Daily's son, John and a national or regional celebrity and a brief ceremony on the Courthouse steps. In 1979, the Waynesburg Borough Special Events Commission was created to hold a special celebration on July 29th each year. That same year, the Waynesburg Area Chamber of Commerce held the first annual Miss Rain Day Pageant. In 2003, the Chamber of Commerce created a new non-profit entity, Rain Day Scholarship, Inc. with the sole purpose to plan and execute the pageant. Each year, one talented local teenage girl wins the coveted crown, hundreds of dollars in scholarship savings bonds and the chance to 'reign' over the day's festivities.

Among the activities sponsored by the Special Events Commission on July 29th is a street fair in the heart of town, live entertainment on the courthouse steps, arts and crafts booths, hometown food booths, children's games and assorted other diversions - including an umbrella decorating contest. Best of all, the admission is free! The festivities are silenced each year to pay a moment's tribute to the men of Company K, 2nd Battalion, 110th Infantry - a battalion from Waynesburg that lost men in France during World War I on Rain Day, 1918. Nearly half of the 250 Greene County men were either killed or wounded on that day. As John O'Hara once wrote, "On that Rain Day in 1918, it rained bullets on the men of Company K".

July 29th, Rain Day in Waynesburg, is the only holiday anywhere in the world that is not a success unless it rains! It is just another day to the rest of the world, but to the people of Waynesburg, it is special festivities and memories on Main Street.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Quoting deccaf:

Lasagna Day

Celebrating Garfield’s favourite food, Lasagne Day champions the combination of minced meat and layered pasta. Add cheese, sauces, try vegetarian options and go wild!

YUM! I love Lasagne

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Me too!

Quoting leahbeah143:

Quoting deccaf:

Lasagna Day

YUM! I love Lasagne

rissarin
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM
That's kinda neat.

Quoting deccaf:

Rain Day

Rain Day - Waynesburg's Claim to Fame

July 29th may be just another day to the rest of the world, but to the residents of Waynesburg, Pennsylvania, it has a special significance that is passed along from generation to generation.

It all started during the late 1800's at a drugstore located on High Street (the main street in town). An unknown local farmer remarked to William Allison, the pharmacist, that it always seems to rain on July 29th. This comment inspired Allison to keep an annual record of the rainfall on that day. William's brother, Albert, continued recording this mystical event; then, sometime during the 1920's, the record keeping was taken over by the late Bryon Daily.

Rain Day would have remained a local phenomenon if it hadn't been for the efforts of the late Waynesburg newsman John O'Hara. He began sending Rain Day stories to other newspapers in the 1930's. Today, newspapers, TV and radio stations from around the world flood the town of Waynesburg with calls every July 29th to learn if it has indeed rained.

For many years, the only observances of Rain Day were the annual hat bet between Bryon Daily's son, John and a national or regional celebrity and a brief ceremony on the Courthouse steps. In 1979, the Waynesburg Borough Special Events Commission was created to hold a special celebration on July 29th each year. That same year, the Waynesburg Area Chamber of Commerce held the first annual Miss Rain Day Pageant. In 2003, the Chamber of Commerce created a new non-profit entity, Rain Day Scholarship, Inc. with the sole purpose to plan and execute the pageant. Each year, one talented local teenage girl wins the coveted crown, hundreds of dollars in scholarship savings bonds and the chance to 'reign' over the day's festivities.

Among the activities sponsored by the Special Events Commission on July 29th is a street fair in the heart of town, live entertainment on the courthouse steps, arts and crafts booths, hometown food booths, children's games and assorted other diversions - including an umbrella decorating contest. Best of all, the admission is free! The festivities are silenced each year to pay a moment's tribute to the men of Company K, 2nd Battalion, 110th Infantry - a battalion from Waynesburg that lost men in France during World War I on Rain Day, 1918. Nearly half of the 250 Greene County men were either killed or wounded on that day. As John O'Hara once wrote, "On that Rain Day in 1918, it rained bullets on the men of Company K".

July 29th, Rain Day in Waynesburg, is the only holiday anywhere in the world that is not a success unless it rains! It is just another day to the rest of the world, but to the people of Waynesburg, it is special festivities and memories on Main Street.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Yummy! I love lasagna but HATE making it!

Quoting deccaf:

Lasagna Day

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I love making it! I do a whole day devoted to the meal.  Homemade bread or breadsticks, a yummy cake for dessert (usually cocoa cinnamon pound cake).  I will often have DH's family over.  They LOVE my lasagne!

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Yummy! I love lasagna but HATE making it!

Quoting deccaf:

Lasagna Day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)