Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not helpful for working parents!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM
  • 14 Replies
2 moms liked this

I was looking at DD's school website for info on when to pick up schedules, etc. They are having "Wolf Day" August 27th, which is a Tuesday, between 9 and 2! And accordind to last name, she is supposed to pick up her schedule between 9 and 10! I'm pretty sure they are going to have to kiss my butt, she will pick up her schedule when I can get her there.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I think some people forget all about the working parent!  At my daycare, there was a flyer for a storytime at 10:30 am on a Tuesday.  Um, this is a daycare.  The parents work.  Unless you expect my daycare to bus all the kids there (not going to happen!), it would be better if you came to them!

Marz31
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Good times! (insert eye roll) they can't possibly think that all parents can just take the day off to do this, huh? I'm thankful for a fairly flexible job AND living close to my office, but not all parents are afforded that luxury!

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Quoting Marz31:

Good times! (insert eye roll) they can't possibly think that all parents can just take the day off to do this, huh? I'm thankful for a fairly flexible job AND living close to my office, but not all parents are afforded that luxury!

Thankfully my workplace is very flexible towards parents, but taking PTO for something like that is hard.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Don't even get me started about society's inflexibility with working parents schedules. It disgusts me.

Public and governmental institutions sure as hell want the middle class working as hard as we can for our tax money and our spending habits to make the economy go round and round....... Yet do they encourage schools, businesses to offer convenient childcare or school schedules, OH HELL NO!! Why would they do that??

Damn I am grumpy today!

mickstinator
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM

lol! yeah, i'm sure that'll go over well

christyg
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Yep!! ~ Schools could not care less about a working parents schedule. It sucks!!!

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM

It used to be that school performances were in the evening.  Now, all the school performances are in the middle of the day or early morning.  There are a couple of times I missed their performances because I had already scheduled meetings.

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I am just discovering this as Ds1 is entering kindergarten. School starts in less than 2 weeks and I have no bus schedule. Glad I am able to have a conversation with my supervisor about my schedule with NO INFO. Ugh.
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Fortunately, that's the one thing our district does well.

They usually have two options - one earlier & one later.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:18 PM

You're right. I don't understand why schools think parents don't work and can show up to things in the middle of the day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)