Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding and travel

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:33 PM
  • 26 Replies
Has anyone here had to travel while breastfeeding a baby under 6 months?
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mickstinator
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:40 PM

by plane and by car! 

in the car, i sat in the back and unbuckled myself and breastfed him by leaning forward while he was in his carseat still. i didn't have to move him when he fell asleep or anything. 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Traveling with or without baby? I left my baby at 5 months for 4 days, while I was breastfeeding.

It was fine from a breastfeeding stand point, but I was physically ill from being separated from my child. I hated it.
eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Please don't do that, it's a choking hazard!

Are you traveling with or without the baby? I have done both. How long? What do you want to know?

Quoting mickstinator:

by plane and by car! 

in the car, i sat in the back and unbuckled myself and breastfed him by leaning forward while he was in his carseat still. i didn't have to move him when he fell asleep or anything. 

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Without. How did you manage milk? Did you bring it back with you or mail it back? Did you save enough before hand to supply all 4 days? Was baby sleep ing through the night? Did you just find places to pump during the day?

Quoting Marti123:

Traveling with or without baby? I left my baby at 5 months for 4 days, while I was breastfeeding.

It was fine from a breastfeeding stand point, but I was physically ill from being separated from my child. I hated it.
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM
See reply above :) hes 2 months and travel will be a few days max. How old was yours and how long were you gone?

Quoting eatyourveges:

Are you traveling with or without the baby? I have done both. How long? What do you want to know?

Quoting mickstinator:

by plane and by car! 

eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Well the first time he was two months old and I was away for 24 hours. I pumped enough in advance and continued pumping while I was gone every 3 hours.

The second time I left him was when he was 6 months old for two days. Same thing with pumping every three hours.

I kept the milk in the fridge at our hotel and then put it in a cooler for the drive home.

Quoting Nighttiger:

See reply above :) hes 2 months and travel will be a few days max. How old was yours and how long were you gone?

Quoting eatyourveges:

Quoting mickstinator:

by plane and by car! 

deccaf
by Group Admin on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:31 PM

DD was just at 6 months when she went on her first plane ride.  She did great.  I was a wonderful way to calm her down and make her comfortable in new situations.  And people on the plane had no clue there was a baby there!

deccaf
by Group Admin on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Ok, just saw it was without baby.  I haven't ever travelled without her.

christyg
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Can you hire a nanny to bring with you? 

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM
This would be travel by plane. Colorado to north carolina

Quoting eatyourveges:

Well the first time he was two months old and I was away for 24 hours. I pumped enough in advance and continued pumping while I was gone every 3 hours.

The second time I left him was when he was 6 months old for two days. Same thing with pumping every three hours.

I kept the milk in the fridge at our hotel and then put it in a cooler for the drive home.

Quoting Nighttiger:

Quoting eatyourveges:

Quoting mickstinator:

by plane and by car! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)