Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Promotion help

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:10 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am up for a possible promotion.  I know that I am qualified for the job, but what I need help with  is how to be the one that is instructing others what to do, or correcting them.  I have a hard time with confrontation.  I would rather just go and correct the job myself.  In this new position there isn't room for me to be the one to go and fix something, I would have to delegate someone else to do it. What I am hoping for is tips you all may be able to give me to make it a bit easier for me to approach a coworker when needed, for correction or delegating jobs.  Are there ways to make it a bit more tactful??  Thank you Mamas!!

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Be pleasant.  If people know it's your job, they will expect it.  If correcting someone, don't make it accusatory.  Simply state the problem, in private, and ask that the correction be made.  Delegating is going to be easier.  You will have to get used to correcting people pretty quickly.  Just be nice and you won't get a reputation.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I agree with Decca. Don't accuse someone of doing something wrong, just explain the right way to do it. I think after doing it for a little while you'll find what you're comfortable with and it'll be easier.

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Does your company offer any training on management or delegation? If so, I would take a seminar/class. Delegation is easier when you give clear instructions. Also provide reasonable deadlines and for long term projects arrange for regular reviews and updates.

In terms of correcting errors, do so quickly. Don't sit on it or let it fester to the point where it is awkward to discuss. Address it immediately and privately or review common errors as a team without finger pointing. If there restructuring errors and barriers ask your team for possible solutions. I find that can encourage empowerment and creativity.

Good luck!
L1nds3y
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Thanks ladies!!
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Quickly with clear communication, document the conversation and your coaching session/method. Try to empower the worker to improve rather than viewing it as disciplinary action for a mistake.

Agree with Loveplusmama, if they offer any mentoring or education sessions, go for them, and good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)