Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is your job family friendly?

Posted by   + Show Post

Is your job family friendly?

If your child ends up sick, are you able to take a day off to spend with her? Are you able to leave early to pick up a sick child? What about after school activities? Are you able to go to them or do you miss some because of your job?

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM
My job is family friendly. if I miss something kid or family related its because i had something scheduled like a presentation or meeting that could not be rescheduled. but if it were an actual emergency then it will be figured out at that time.
JessicaEmlaw
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM

My job is very family friendly so if I need to take a day off because of the kids being sick I can.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Yes. Its family friendly as long as I get my work done
arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Yes. I've been able to schedule the courses I teach around my kids' school hours without too much difficulty. And when one of the boys is ill and my husband can't cover me, I have no qualms about cancelling class, though some kind of make-up is usually arranged to compensate for the course hours lost. Usually it's a virtual Q-and-A session with me or I make my lecture notes available to the class. And I'm the one who picks them up from school and chauffeur them to any afterschool activities.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM

My full-time job is as family friendly as it can be. I work 1:1 with adults with disabilities so I wouldn't be able to leave until a replacement is found. They are usually great about finding a replacement and work really hard until they find one. If I put in a pto request 30 days in advance it's always granted. If it's less then 30 days I have to try to find coverage first and if not my supervisor and scheduler will try their best to find someone.

My part-time job is flexible. I would be able to leave early if I had to and they only schedule me when I say I'm available to work.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

That sounds wonderful.

Quoting the3Rs:

Yes, my job is EXTREMELY family friendly.  We get unlimited sick days (without penalty) so anytime I need to go grab a kid from school, attend an event, take a day off for illness or whatever, I just tell them what I'm doing and they just say "OK".

They trust us to get our work down and don't police the hours we're actually doing the work.

BabyRuca
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM
I work in retail so it's semi flexible with sufficient notice. I'm the warehouse manager though so when ds gets sick they do get frustrated. I just use vacation days for those days and they can suck it. Ds comes first.
melaniecerise
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I have sick days at work. I do consider them to be family friendly because I work in a school. My husband's job is not so much family friendly

Medusa686
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM

My boss is flexible when you have a sick child. My son is on the track team in the spring and I just plain old lie or schedule half days off. 

Littleeinsteins
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Hi, I run a group family daycare in my own home. I have about 4 employees and as a parent myself realize that there is always so much going on within the family circle. I am very flexible and work with my employees' schedules as long as it can be arranged ahead of time and I have subs in case an emergency arises where child or yourself get sick. I think that if employers are family friendly this will reduce their employees turnover rates. This will also increase productivity because your employees are happier knowing their family responsibilities are cared for and appreciate what you are doing for them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)