Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Is your job family friendly?

Posted by   + Show Post

Is your job family friendly?

If your child ends up sick, are you able to take a day off to spend with her? Are you able to leave early to pick up a sick child? What about after school activities? Are you able to go to them or do you miss some because of your job?

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Replies (21-30):
flutter523
by Tracy on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I get 10 sick days a year, 5 of which can be used as family sick time. Plus 4 personal days and all school holidays off
Lisette1528
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I'm a high school science teacher, so sort of?  Yes in the fact that I do have sick days that I can use if needed, but they tend to whine and grumble if it's a Friday because our district is always short on substitutes (and there are NO subs that have a clue about my subject, so my school kids fall behind).  I don't get to go to his school activities very often, because every time I miss work I end up doubling my work load and it ends up being a huge problem for me to get my school kids back on track.

My son and I are also in different school districts, so calendar schedules are a problem.  I go back to work two weeks before he starts school this year.  My MIL is watching him during the second week, but we're not sure what we're going to do yet the first week.

mickstinator
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

they really attempt to be, but we are very small, so there are limitations. i appreciate the level of flexibility offered, especially given the circumstances.

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Yes.  I'm a teacher, and family comes first.

mandalyn74
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Yes I am usually able to take a day for a sick child or a few hours for a school activity without having to use vacation time.  Things are pretty flexible as long as it is not abused.

baileymarie723
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Not really, but I do it anyway. I told my boss BEFORE she hired me that I had a child, and may have to take time off if she gets sick or something with her school pops up and I was still hired. IMO since she knew before hand she shouldn't have hired me if she doesn't like me not being at work on rare occasions.
aj_mom
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Yes everyone out here has kids/grandkids.

Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:45 PM

my job is very family friendly, flexible with my hours for appts and whatever. I work at home, so if my kids are sick, I just go get them and put them in bed and keep working.

Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Uh, yes. DH and I are self employed. We do what we want when we want or need to. =) Love it 

AM-BRAT
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:27 AM
I work nights.

I'm always with my kids, or dh is- so there's no need to call in for either of us.

I make most all field trips, etc. It's not a problem. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN