Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Is your job family friendly?

Posted by   + Show Post

Is your job family friendly?

If your child ends up sick, are you able to take a day off to spend with her? Are you able to leave early to pick up a sick child? What about after school activities? Are you able to go to them or do you miss some because of your job?

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Replies (31-32):
LIMom1105
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:36 AM

No. It's a service field, public sector, and if we were sufficiently staffed it would be fine. But I can't tell you how many days I've had to send my kid to school moderately sick because I was the only one to open the place up and work the first few hours. In theory we have back-up people, but they have other jobs and aren't always available.

I do get a reasonable number of sick days, but it's hard to ever take them. So everyone drags themselves in here sick, gets other people sick, it's a bad cycle, but there isn't much else to do.

After-school activities, no can do. I also work a lot of weekends and evenings.  I'm looking to get out of it, but there isn't a lot out there.

Crissy2424
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I would say my job is understanding up to a point. I have yet to have to leave due to my child being sick. If there is coverage and the next person in for their shift doesn't mind, I can leave a little early if I have to. My daughter is in daycare so no school activities yet. She will be doing soccer this fall, but the practices are after work. The games are on the weekends, so I might not make them, but my husband has weekends off thankfully.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN