Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Mommys working FT, Monday-Friday

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hello Everyone! I'm new here yayy!

Really trying hard to get some feedback from working moms. Currently i work part time. Tuesday Wednesday Thursday. so having fri sat sun mon off is awesome! My daughter just turned 5 and were doing a pre K program with her that will be 3days a week. so with being offered FT and she will be in school a few days, I'm trying really hard to get some feedback from m-f working moms. Is it worth it? How do you deal with only having just two whole days to spend with your little one(s) (saturday & sunday) i feel like I'm going to miss out on way to much. I've been with her since day one. shes like my little best Friend, and i realize she is growing up but there are also pros to working FT as far as being able to give her more than she has now. I've turned to this because my fiance is really no help..he doesn't seem bothered one way or the other. hes worked FT since we've had her so its no different for him. plus we all know dads aren't as emotional as us :) i actually know some people who couldn't wait to go back to work after having their baby. I'm stressed. worried. i don't want to disappoint her, i don't want to miss out on things, I'm having a hard time. any feedback will help :)

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christyg
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:19 AM

It would be a no-brainer for me. I would keep the part time job if it was possible. Once you adjust to the full time income, its almost impossible to go ack. I think part time is perfect for a mom ... but I know that my opinion is not always whats right for everyone.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I chose to work nights so it is less of an issue.  You could also try a 4/10 schedule meaning you would work 4 days but 10 hours and still have 3 days off.

FinchsMommy
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I was never a SAHM although it was something that my DH and I discussed when I was pregnant with my first. He was starting a new practice and thought his income would cover everything (except he has no insurance, which I can't be without due to existing medical conditions). His income covering everything was very pie in the sky really. It meant I had to cut out all the things I like but not him. So, to make a long story short. I took 14 weeks off with my first since I was on medical leave and didn't have permission to return to work (due to complication of previously mentioned medical issues from his birth).

Low and behold I get back, I'm there for a week and I get a promotion. One I had been working for, for years. I've been with my company for 9 years. Well that bumped my pay to twice what my DH makes at his practice. The extra money was really something that we needed. Couldn't afford the mortgage, car payments, insurance and all the bills without my income. We use his income to pay his student loans (which are like a mortgage payment :-( ) and for our nanny. Plus it covers his spending. He eats out A LOT. Especially on days when he's at court.

I often struggle with feeling like I'm missing out in things with LO, but to balance that when I'm not at work or in law school (I attend at nights and on the weekends). It's family time. Period. My extended family and his are not the most understanding. Well aside from my mother, she gets what I'm trying to do. But I protect that family time like a bear protects her cubs. I occasionally will share it with extended family but not as frequently as they'd like. (Keep in mind that none of the GPs work). So it's not like they aren't free to come up during a week day to spend time with LO. My parents do regularly and his dont.(that's a much longer discussion).

A lot of it is a balancing act and accepting that there will be some things that you will inevitably miss out on. But I try to keep the things I really want to experience for our immediate family. Like LO first trip to the movies or first hair cut or first play date or first trip to a water park. But some things like his first trip to see airplanes at an air show or taking him mtiple times a week to see horses (my son is obsessed with them right now) I'm ok with someone else doing. Shrug.

On top of that my work knows that my health and my family come first. I have numerous doctor appointments a month and if my son needs me ill work from home or leave early. Granted I've earned that trust over the years, but it was a requirement for them to accept and have me take on the additional responsibility of the new position.
leahbeah143
by Leah on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I wish I could work PT lol I'm a single mom so I've always had to work full time. My schedule is 6-230 though so I do get the afternoons to spend with her. Although she's 13, so she doesn't always want to spend her afternoons with me lol

mickstinator
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM

i went from PT to FT about 18 months ago or so. it really wasn't as rough as i thought it would be, but i do constantly feel like i am incapable of getting everything done. i depend on my husband to help with things that i used to do without a problem. 

and my kids miss me. i miss them! but they know how it is and why it is. it's rough, but we do the most we can in the time we have together. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Once kids start school it's a little easier to work full-time since they're in school all day. If you don't take it would full-time be available when she starts full day school?
mom2boys664
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm one of those that couldn't wait to go back to work, and I've never felt like I missed anything. I really loved the daycare/preschool he was in and felt like they were doing so much with him that I wouldn't have even thought to do. Ds loved having playmates and was really a social kid. I have a career I love and was in a leadership position so I had a lot to return to at work. I am very close to ds( he is 7 1/2 now) and he is definately a "mama's boy", so I don't feel like either of us have suffered at all by my working. I am lucky that I do have flexibility at work to take time to go to school parties, etc. The only thing I have had a problem with is the PTA at school, since I think it's sortof a SAHM club. They hold their meetings at 10am on a weekday and all of their volunteer opportunities are during my work hours. I don't really think it's a big deal though, and it doesn't really affect my and ds's relationship. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved with ds's extracurriculars and I feel like we have a very full life. 

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I've worked full time since both kids were born. I miss out on a few things but we try to make the weekends really count. The house isn't always perfect but they are only young once
Jennyanne322
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM
You realize that your child will be in school full time next year. I don't get the conflict of only seeing her two days a week. You still have every evening plus weekends with her.
MinglingMom
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I'm currently FT and about to be PT and even though I'm not thrilled finacially, I'm looking forward to a little more time with DD, especially since she's only 8 months old. I'll be going back to FT in May/June of next year when work picks up again so I imagine it'll be a little more difficult.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)