Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

How often do your kids buy lunch at school?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 17 Replies

How often do your kids buy lunch at school?

Do you limit the amount of times they can buy?

My kids can buy twice a week. I much prefer them packing their lunch so I know what they're getting to eat each day. The lunch choices aren't the best.

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mickstinator
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM

We haven't started at the elementary school yet. Right now, I don't even know what the lunches are like. I'm planning on packing most every day unless there is something special and having a little on an account for him just in case. 

At his preschool, I pack his lunch every day because he does not like the food options. I let my younger son eat school lunches, though. It's usually pretty decent choices.

thebailiffs
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM

My son buys everyday.  In the past I woudl spend so much time and enegy on his lunches. He would help pack and pick out food and everyday it would come back NOT eaten are just a small nibble. So I stopped all that and make him buy it. Now he eats and I don't have the stress. On the days he doesn't like the choice he can eat PB&J at school. 

I'm not worred about what he eats or how much. If he doesn't eat enough he will be hungry. 

dandylynes
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

One day a week, on Fridays, because it's too hectic in the morning for either of us to pack something. We can't afford to have her buy it every day though.  They feed the students great food, all organic, homestyle cooking, so I wish I could have her buy it daily.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM

My son buys pretty much every day. The school he attends still cooks a lot from scratch, and they have several fresh fruit and veggie choices every day, which my son would much prefer over the meat and desserts anyway! Once in a while when he does not like what's on the menu, he will request that I pack his lunch.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM

We used to let the buy it whenever they liked something on the menu...then we started letting them buy more often because it's just plain easier.

Unfortunately, when they changed the portion sizes, my oldest ended up STARVING everyday - sorry by 3 nuggets and a spoon of fruit is NOT enough for junior high boys!

So, this year, we'll be making the lunches.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I'll probably pack lunch once a week. I'm not home everyday so I can't pack him lunch.
arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Our older son buys lunch at school almost every day. When there's something on the month's menu that he doesn't care for, he wants a packed lunch instead. But that doesn't happen often. Lunch at his school is pretty healthy and varied, especially when we parents successfully campaigned to eliminate of the once-a-week fast food choice.

pinkysmommy720
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:48 PM

My kids buy every day. Their schools over 3 entree choices so there is always something they like.

ambermario4ever
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:09 PM

my daughter never buys lunch as school. and my son is homeschooled so he eats at home.

Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM

They buy lunch 4 days a week. The day the school serves salad, I will pack their lunches. I cannot seem to convince my 5 year old that all the stuff she eats separately, is just fine on a salad. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN